Help with my Seaside Garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Lillie, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Lillie

Lillie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so i know it's soon and i've only just introduced my self but i have a question, keeping in mind i have no idea what i'm doing?

I live in flat close to the seafront and i don't really have my own garden but there is a small one in need of some TLC out front....i kinda of got sick of looking at it so i'm gonna take action.
    This morning i have been out there getting rid of all the dead plants and weeds so i can start fresh but in the flower bed i've noticed the soil is rock solid. Once i dig this up is there anything i can add to the soil to improve it's quality before planting my new plants?

2. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Lillie welcome to the forum.

Anything you add will aid your plants shop brought compost or if you're lucky raid someone's compost bin ask permission first though.:hehe:

Don't worry too much about your soil almost anything is workable I manage on heavy clay soil in our gardens.

If you're new to this gardening lark then don't just go out and buy any old plants to pop in your garden have a little walk round your area and have a good old nosy and see what others are popping into their gardens.

If you're lucky you might even walk by while someone is tending to their gardens start a conversation with them and see if they have any ideas that will help you out gardeners love to talk to others who show an interest in their gardens.

Good luck and happy digging.Hel.xxx.

3. Lillie

Ratings:
    +0

Heya!

Ah cool, well i'll have a little looky around and see what i can find as far as compost goes, although i'm on a very tight budget.

I was thinking about getting some cuttings from my mums garden actually and see how that goes.

Thanks for your advice :D

4. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Our local council here gives away a bag of compost to residents on certain days. All u have to do is bring a bag and fill it up. It's on a first come first served basis but as long as you're early u should be lucky. Might be worth a look to see if your council runs somehing similar

5. Lillie

Ratings:
    +0
    Ooh cool, never heard of anything like that before. Thanks

6. Lillie

Ratings:
    +0
    Well i looked into the free compost thing from the council but unfortunately it isn't all that local, but i'm still glad i found out about it, thanks again.

7. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Hi Lillie, I think it's lovely that your going to do something in what isn't 'your' garden, well done. You will enjoy doing it and have the pleasure of watching it grow. You will find lots of advice on here (although not from me, I've been gardening 3 years now & still don't seem any better,lol).

Have you got a balcony even a small one? You can do loads on there too if you have.

Let us know how you are getting on.

cheers

8. Lillie

Ratings:
    +0
    Heya,

You just put a massive smile on my face, my other half thinks it's a waste of time :(

I don't actually have a balcony, i have a lower ground flat so i don't get a great deal of light inside which is probably why i've headed out doors.

Well so far i've started having a clear up out there but i really need to buy some tools first. i've taken a few cuttings today from around and about so we'll see how they do and by the time they're ready for the out doors hopefully i'll be fully kitted out.

There is a large rose bush in the flower bed which i've left for the time being but it's looking very tatty and is intwined with lots of other weeds and ivy so that may have to go, plus it'll let more light into my lounge :D

9. joyce42

joyce42 Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Lillie, don't be too hasty rooting out the rose bush,prune it hard first you might be rewarded by beatiful flowers.

10. Lillie

Ratings:
    +0
    Saying that it has got massive yellow roses on it......but i don't have a clue about pruning :(

11. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Lillie, if you live near the sea front you have an endless source of good composting material. After the first go storm of the summer, head down the beach with some gloves and a big bag or two, and gather up some of the washed up seaweed.

How big is your garden? Is it large enough for a compost bin? If it is then whack the seaweed in it. If not then you could be a bit naughty and just dig it straight in. It rots quite quickly and is full of nutrients. If you do dig it straight in though, I'd give it a couple of weeks before planting in that patch, just to give it a bit of a head start on breaking down.

12. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Just a cautionary word of warning. I am assuming you live in a sort of apartment development, with communal land, part of which you intend to work on? If so, check with the property management company first, not for legal purposes, but they do send gardening contractors round to "tidy up" this sort of area periodically. Having lived in these sort of developments, I've watched these contractors at work and they are the rough and ready sort, not that interested in someone's efforts if it isn't in their remit or contract. I would hate to hear that your hard work had been ruined.

If I am wrong in my assumptions, feel free to tell me so and ignore my comments! I think what you're doing is great - wish more people would do it :) I'm trying to think of plants that flourish in coastal areas for you :)

13. Lillie

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for the warning. I have noticed and old guy who comes around now and again but he literally just tidy's up a little, nothing special and in all honesty where i live isn't really very well looked after or cared about but thanks anyways.

14. Lillie

Ratings:
    +0
    No way, I never realised that. Well thats next weekend sorted, a sneaky midnight trip to the beach lol! I should be able to squeeze a small compost bin in somewhere yes....hmm got me thinking now.

Thanks a lot :D

15. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    If you start a compost bin, put a spade full of garden soil on top of the seaweed and other compost material. It will help give it a head start, as the good bacteria in the soil will help kick start the decomposition.