Help with picking some plants

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Ayrshire Bob, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Ayrshire Bob

Ayrshire Bob Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone.

This is my first post in the site. It's a bit of a strange one possibly lol.

I have a crested gecko and I have started to make a natural vivarium for her. So far I have the soil and drainage in and a few plants (bromelaids and a wandering jew, and a couple air plants and a rose of jericho) but I need some more. Which is where this post comes in.

Could you recommend some plants that would do well in a high humidity and high uv environment that would be at most 50cm tall? I need one or two plants like this for hiding places. And possibly a climbing plant that would suit the same environment?

I will post a picture to show what I have so far and maybe give a better idea of what I need.

Attached Files:

2. Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,631
    Hi ayrshire bob

Very impressed you are going for a natural viv. Unfortunately i cant recommend any plants.

I def think that a climbing or trailing plant is needed though.

Cant wait to see how it develops. Hope someone can help you with it :-)

3. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,091
    Welcome!

My gut feeling is that you need to look to plants from SE Asia and better still Australia north of the Tropic of Capricorn as Australia has particularly high UV levels. I'm assuming that the temperature is 25°c or more?

Could you suspend an Aeschynanthus to trail down.
    [​IMG]