Help with rubber plant

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by jakeycrx, Jul 12, 2014.

1. jakeycrx

jakeycrx Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I recently took on my Father's plants when he passed away one of which is a rubber plant. He had it on the windowsill with what I've been told is a weeping fig in the same rectangular container. They were far to big for it so I recently repotted them. I think I was over watering them as the container was full of water at the bottom as it had no drain holes.

I do put both plants out in the sun and they have both grown a lot recently. The rubber plant has got some patches on the leaves since I repotted it though. There is one completely yellow leaf at the bottom which has been there for a while. It has two main stems which were growing at an angle in the old container. I'm trying to straighten them at the minute by pulling the stems towards a cane in the centre of the pot. Is this a good idea? Does anybody have any tips or ideas for the best care for this plant? It means a lot to me. Please see pictures as well.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    The Rubber plant may have "caught the sun" if it has been indoors all its life - even if in bright sun, indoors, the leafs will have been "soft".

Move it somewhere with more shade - dappled shade ideally, but failing that somewhere that protects it from the fiercest midday sun. East facing would probably be best, after that West facing. North facing will be rather too shaded, but would do for a short wile of convalescence.

Definitely don't use pots that have no drainage holes. If the pot needs to look smart then stand the actual pot inside a bigger "smart" pot with no drainage holes. Put an inch or two of gravel in the outer pot, so that the inner pot stands on that, and check periodically that you have not given the plant so much water that it is standing in water in the outer pot - if it is then it is easy enough to tip the excess water out of the outer pot, of course, whereas if you use a pot with no drainage holes and over-water it (accidentally / without realising / whatever) then the plant has no means of correcting the situation, other than to drink the water, but when waterlogged plants shut down, waiting for the water/"flood" to drain away naturally, so they drink less water - which doesn't then fix the problem of course!

They would appreciate a liquid feed now and again :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,517
      :goodpost:

• Agree Agree x 1