help with solanum rantonnetti

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by intermiplants, Nov 14, 2007.

1. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    hi ive got a white and a purple solanum rantonnetti they doing very well but i thought they was evergreen but after the first severe frost on sunday night they have taken a turn for the worst. they are not to bad but the leaves and flowers just looked zapped over night should i cut it back or leave it well alone [​IMG]

2. janlee

janlee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Solanum rantonnetti are evergreen but are a frost tender plant which will suffer with temperatures below 5C. I would cut away any damaged parts and give it a good mulch and it should perk up in the spring when temperatures are better. They also prefer acid soil.
    The other choice is pop it in a pot and keep it next to the house wall for winter protection.

3. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    thanks janlee just been away for a few weks and just found out they dont like the cold as the frost has had them and there is nothing left. oh well they be growing again soon ;)

4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,489
    imp, my friend ... I just put up a pic of mine in my Algarve Garden blooming now. To be honest, I didn't know there was a white one ... but then again, I'm not an expert .... [​IMG]

They are frost hardy, certainly once established ... couldn't get rid them in Bucks and certainly can't get rid of them here. [​IMG]

Can't imagine what's happening with yours .... :eek:

5. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    lol ill post a pic tmoz wife said we had a really bad frost and it just zapped them whilst i was away [​IMG]

6. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,489
    Well, sunshine, I suggest you don't go away too often. :eek:

If need be, I'll send you one or two or three ...

7. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    thanks lol they are really nice may be its because they are in there first year and we hit minus 6 , think they will start growing again come march . i hope so i wanted to train them into trees like yours [​IMG]