1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with this please.

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Sheal, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,497
    I've thought about this @Verdun and being as the Grevillea has such a short life it's probably not going to work in the area, I need something more permanent - but not a Rowan, sorry. :) This is what I need to disguise and it'll take more than one shrub. The pine on the right is leaning quite badly and will be removed. There's a scruffy holly that's been neglected behind the bins but I don't think that will come to anything even with major pruning. The bins have already disappeared! :biggrin:

137.JPG

@Fat Controller :)......Plant Search Results - Burncoose Nurseries - plants by mail order direct to you

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Think you're right Sheal...grevilleas, although beautiful, would not fit your criteria I think. How about a group of hollies?
      Ilex Golden King? Ilex Handsworth New Silver? And Ilex J C Van Tol? Superb evergreen foliage plus masses of berries from V Tol.
      Hollies are much quicker growing than thought and should be available as open ground plants; larger specimens too! :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,497
        You must have been reading my mind @Verdun. :) That's exactly what I was thinking while waiting for the Sandman to come last night. :biggrin: 'Golden King' would certainly brighten up the area.

• Verdun

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Guilty Sheal, ha ha. :)
        Golden King here is the biggest thing in my front garden. The colour, shape (I trim annually to keep its natural conical shape nice and dense) and presence is a joy. No prickly foliage either! :yay:
        If I have time later I will post a picture :)

• Like Like x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,497
          Hollies will be perfect in that spot but there's no point in planting until the tree is removed an that may not happen before next Spring. I'd love to see a picture of 'Golden King' - thanks Verdun. :)

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,549
          I've grown holly and i pretty much was glad to get shot of it.
          Dead brown prickly leaves everywhere after a few years.

You know @Sheal I really like those trees.
          Think I'd try something like virginia creeper to cover that shed if you feel you must, personally I just like the rustic look of it all.:smile:

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,497
          The leaves don't bother me Pete. :)

The photo doesn't do the trees justice, they are blue pines. The right hand tree is in danger of collapsing onto the shed which is why it's being removed. The shed isn't mine and I don't think my neighbour would care for a vine creeping over it.

• Verdun

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Well,
          I will have to post a picture of my Golden King....dead brown prickly leaves??? Golden King is not prickly. A beautiful plant indeed. :)

• Like Like x 1