Help

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by morticia, Sep 29, 2006.

1. morticia

morticia Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm needing some advice and a miracle. My garden is a disaster, the property was a new build two years ago and the back garden was very uneven, we got a rotovator to turn it over and took in 10 tonnes of earth to even it out. It's still not even and it's driving me up the wall. The builders i think used our garden as a dumping ground, we've found under the soil tools, glass, pipes amongst other things. I love gardening but this is too big a project and my husband bless him, is useless. I have in my head how i want the garden to be but getting there, cost and actually doing it is proving to be a nightmare. I was wandering if anyone knows of anywhere that could help. We've been to some companies to get help but they are quoting thousands of pounds and to be honest when you see what some do on tv's rogue traders i'm reluctant to take on someone i don't know anything about. Even, after checking the references. That's only the back garden. I have one bit in the front that kills all my plants no matter how i prepare the earth or what i add to help they die. So, i took the plants and put them in decorative pots, weeded the bit of earth covered it with decrative bark and placed the new filled pots ontop so i still have plants in the same area and even they are dying still and the pots are not touching the earth at all. I'm at my wits end and need a miracle. I even tried those garden makeover shows but coulnd't find one. Any advice would be great. :(

2. sparkle

sparkle Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    don't give up morticia!

I've have a lot of the same problems in my plot. It's not a new build but I found tonnes of victorian rubble when I dug up the patio, so I've reluctantly deciced to have gravel instead of grass because it's too big a job removing it.

The plants are all going in raised beds mainly because that was what was there already, and also it's easier to manage the soil. I am working my way through all the soil sieving out the rubble and glass and mixing in compost as I go. It is truely backbreaking but I can see the results already because the things I have recently planted are thriving. It might be a good idea to make some raised beds out of railway sleepers for a quick fix.

It's odd that you're not having much luck with your plants at the front. There could be many reasons for that. What are you growing?

Like your husband, mr sparkle is not that keen on gardening so I have to do everything myself and it's very hard work. However, I now have super-toned arms :D

3. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,185
    Welcome, morticia, from Scotland! Did you like The Addams Family as well? My nephew is called Cousin after Cousin It! Of course, that's not his real name! :D

4. morticia

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks lady of leisure funnily enough my son is sometimes known as cousin it! In an endearing way of course. Thanks for the advice mr sparkle i really have no choice but to keep at it i think i just wanted a moan about it.

5. morticia

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey lady of leisure, i just noticed you are in portugal. I just returned from there on Friday, fantastic place can't wait to go back.

6. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,185
    Do you look like Morticia? I thought she was fab. Where were you?

7. morticia

Ratings:
    +0
    Well my husband says so, we started in the usual spot Our in Albufera then travelled to the north side of portugal to lagos amongst some of the places, that was the first time we had been. We travel a lot and it was a last minute decision but and excellent one i'd recommend it to anyone. Which part do you live in?

8. morticia

Ratings:
    +0
    that should have said Oura in Albuferia, sorry

9. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,185
    A hop, skip and a jump from Albufeira, that's where our doctor and dentist are.

We are inland, however, toward Sao Bartolomeu de Messines in orange country. Lagos is one of my favourite big towns here. I have a site called An Algarve Garden in Members Gallery if you would like to have a wander around!

10. morticia

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll maybe just do that lady of leisure, you're right lagos was great. What i thought was sad was how all those lovely juicy oranges in Portugal cannot be exported to us because of the new EU rules of them not being the right size, shape etc. It's a shame that the whole world doesn't get the chance to taste those mouthwatering oranges. Don't get me wrong the other ones are nice but just not as juicy as the smaller dark oranges. Are you originally from Portugal?

11. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,185
    It's very sad about the oranges. When you buy carton juice here it's from Spain ... :eek: and as you say, Portuguese oranges are sweet and juicy!

No, I'm from Wales and t'other half is American!

12. morticia

Ratings:
    +0
    Great mix, I'm dead jealous i've had a look at your members gallery your home looks beautiful, well done on all the hard work you have put in.

It made me think i was still there [​IMG] Anyway have to dash. thanks for the chat.

Obrigada (forgive my spelling)

13. Royster

Royster Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Interesting discussion ladies, interesting discussion! Morticia look-alike, Cousin It, Portugal, Portuguese oranges, Spanish orange juice but nothing about the impending garden disaster and the miracle cure.

I shall be following this thread with real curiosity in future... Its really highly entertaining! :D

Have a nice day!

Royster

14. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
  15. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Morticia,

Your plants in the front might be dying cos its autumn, and I imagine in Scotland it is colder than in England. Are they annuals, perennials?
    The back garden- think of it as a long term project, give it a year.

Start at one side and work towards the other. Do a small bit at a time, I have an allotment and I do roughly 1 spit wide x 10ft each time I go. I plant stuff as I go to give me encouragement (however I cannot do that in winter). Take photos regularly so you can see your progress. This is a great motivator!

When you dig your length don't forget to add well rotted manure (ask a local stable if they have any they don't want!!!).

It will take time, but please don't give up. It will be beautiful one day.
    :cool: