help

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ice, Apr 17, 2006.

1. ice

ice Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi there folks
    i am looking for a few ideas and your forum looks just the spot to get great advice
    well here goes
    [​IMG] i have just moved into a new build house the garden is just soil and split into two halfs the bottom i plan to hard landscape for the usually reasons the top half is where i am stuck . do i grew veg make a meadow or plant formal flower beds the soil is clay and sunny
    ideas of all sorts welcome

ice [​IMG]

2. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    If you are on clay subsoil you can make bricks with then your first job will be to incorporate as much humus into the ground as possible to get it into good condion. Leaf mould, spent mushroom compost or even local authority recycled soil conditioner are all ideal. It will take time and be prepared for a lot of hard work but once the soil is right and full of goodness and nutrients you should be able to grow just about anything and not only will it give you a great deal of satisfaction but a good garden will add value to your property.

3. ice

ice Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i am on the look out now, for some organic matter as i will have to start again with my own
    making bricks sounds a good idea though perhaps i could sell them back to the builders lol

4. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    You have not said how big your plot is, are you serious about meadow?

5. ice

ice Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    well i am not big at guessing but i would say about 30ft by 40ft
    yes i was thinking about it,at least some of it anyway there is a brook outfront so thought it may be a good idea

6. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Well it may not be meadow in my terms 30/40 ft just a tad too small for a hay field, but sounds exciting with the brook - I too have a brook/river er where do I start?

do you have a bank that may get washed away, what about marginal planting - how fast the brook? I love my boat house and landing - great for summer G&T before dinner ;)

7. ice

ice Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    sorry you miss understood me the brook is out front the ground i am looking at is round back, where i lived before although the water was further away we still got frogs and dragonflys in the garden oh and a bat so i was hoping to attacted same wild life my garden there was more formal