help

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by heppy, Sep 19, 2005.

1. heppy

heppy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hello every one, I have just bought a house which has a 19ft by 200ft garden on a slight incline which is at present overgrown with 4ft weeds. i plan on building a garage using approx 30ft of it, but i have no idea were to start with the rest of it, i have a little experience with doing small gardens, but what do i do with this large one any advice would be gratefully recieved.
    lee

2. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Hi heppy,I had the same problem some twenty years ago! By all means clear away the mess but take your time and plan...then plan some more.Only you know what you want from your garden at the end(which never happens of course :rolleyes: )so sketch it,walk it,check out the soil,get ideas then ask away on here for expert advice and tips.

3. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Great project to have!

As well as the advice given by Paladin I would also add look carefully at the lay of the land Does it slope N-S, E-W, S -N etc? What's the relationship of the house in all this and what shaddows, (summer and winter)will be cast once you have the garage built. How exposed is it and can you add shelter with hardy shrubs? All can have a bearing on what you plant as can soil type and drainage.

Have a lot of fun with your new garden!