Hel's heaven once again GSOH required!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Helofadigger, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Sadly due to one person not having a sense of humour I have decided to redo my garden thread.

I must stress that it was my own decision and in no way did in involve the mods of which didn't even contact me regarding the horrible mess this one person caused me and my close G.C. friends.

Mods if you can please delete my old thread but please give me time to copy over my works.Thanks.

If you are not able to enjoy a good laugh most of which is at my expense then please do not join my gardening adventures.

To all my close buddies who enjoy my wacky SOH put on your wellies and come join me having as much fun as we can along the way..... after all who knows what torromow may bring just enjoy today! Love you all [​IMG] Hel.xxx.

[ 03. February 2008, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Helofadigger ]

2. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    My husband and I moved house in may of 2006, it took forever to "do" the inside and very little was done to the garden other than a new driveway.
    An old gentleman had the house before us and grew nothing at all in the garden which seems such a shame and we are now setting a new garden.
    I did manage to plant a little border along the path/house wall and a couple more small borders.
    Along the path/house wall we planted good old fashion lavender along with rows of red tulips,grape hyacinth although the tulips have now been moved because they were too tall.
    Our "new" neighbours all approve of the progress I have posted some pictures for you to view.Helen.xxx.
    [​IMG] [/img]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[ 03. February 2008, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: Helofadigger ]

3. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Between the showers/pouring rain Bob has done wonders in the side garden throughout July 2007 and at the moment we're at this stage.

[​IMG]
    View from the back garden up the side.

Bob's at stage three with kidney failure and doesn't have a lot of energy but he does get alot of pleasure from gardening and it's murder trying to get him to stop, although he will for a nice cuppa! :D

I will post the before pictures and some more of the side garden later.

Helen.xxx.

[ 04. February 2008, 06:51 AM: Message edited by: Helofadigger ]

4. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all the side garden isn't finished yet waiting for the membrane and the gravel, but as we have got itchy feet we started on the back.

[​IMG]

Bob and I have been busy in the garden (as normal) and the top picture looks a little different now which was taken a couple of days ago, all the little sleepers are in the ground, soil has been transplanted there and the level is raised to make it a little bit flatter up there.
    Bob has had his wacker plate out and compacted the soil, just need to treat the soil and cover it with membrane and wait for the gravel.

I have brought a retractable clothes line and I'll see if it is long enough to go where I want it so the clothes post in the picture can be removed. Gotta keep the clothes line as there's nothing better then clean wind dried bedding in my book..... lovely!

In this back garden just like the rest of our plot there's a fair bit of work to do and we are going for a tropical feel up top near the house and I'm pleased to write I have had lots of help from wonderful people on this forum (see my thread Tropical help) Sarraceniac has been so lovely...thank you John.

As gardening is a long term thing I'm trying to keep it kinda child friendly for possible grandchildren in the future although as the boys are only 19 and 23 with no plans of settling down we could have a fair wait and it's because of this that Bob no longer wants a pond.

We went to the garden centre yesterday and brought some alpines for my Belfast sink (it's in the side garden) and I'm ashamed to write that not only did I get my alpines but conned Bob into buying me some grasses for the back too!

I didn't know there were so many to choose from and so many great colours too.
    Helen.xxx.

5. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Another picture of the back garden right at the end point.Sorry about the flash!

[​IMG]

This is where our cat Tiger who died just before Christmas last year is buried. I'ave tried to do a ivy grotto with a little white dragon sitting on top surrrounded by lily of the valley (which the slugs seem to love) and foxgloves......these might have to go when the grandkids come along!

The ivy isn't doing too well i.e.not covering the "grotto" cage as I would like but maybe next year it will look better.
    Helen.xxx.

6. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Bob took me to the garden centre a couple of days ago and we brought a little Victoria plum tree which as you can see I have planted near the trellis work of the side garden.

[​IMG]

It 'had' a few plums on it but Bob had to test if it was good enough for him! [​IMG]
    Helen.xxx.

7. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Well the membrane has been put down in both the back and side garden.

We had 3 tons of gravel dropped off for the side garden yesterday thought it might just be enough, turns out it was more than enough and even did most of the area on the back garden too.

Wish we ordered another ton or so, never mind still the back pathway to do and of course my greenhouse floor as well as the back area still need a little bit more...so another couple of tons will do just fine!

Dan (our eldest) had a day off yesterday and he and his girldfriend (Gemma) helped Bob and I to move all the gravel from off the driveway and in next to no time all was moved! :D

I'm really quite chuffed with the side garden if only the weather was great I could enjoy it so much more having a nice cool lager and black on the tiny deck ......now that's bliss! [​IMG]

Will post some more pics later for you all.
    Helen.xxx.

8. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Morning all.

Well yesterday I pulled myself together and got cracking on the back garden as the side garden is all done and looks amazing!

We dug a lovely new border and planted a few plants.

Brought a stunning cordyline for only �£3 (not as cheap as John's/Sarraceniac but still wonderful) from a local carboot ....wish now I brought two as it does look smashing in the border, oh well you live and learn.

Planted two of my purple chimney pots (yes PURPLE!)in the border just at the side of the old penny slab just gotta look around for the right plants to put in them now as the ones I have in them at the moment I have plans to go elsewhere.

Added some solar spots lights and boy does it look great both at night and day even though there's more to do I'm really pleased so far with the results...must get round to taking some pictures!
    Helen.xxx.

9. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Morning all such a nice start to the day I even managed to get some pictures taken of our process.

From this....

[​IMG]

To this

[​IMG]

Helen.xxx.

10. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    And what about this....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Helen.xxx.

11. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Glad your making progess despite the weather, looking forward to seing the pictures.

12. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry to bore you guys and girls there's more!

Notice how 'the girls' got into the photo shoot.

[​IMG]

A great set of pots all put together in a group of three I picked this and another set up for �£1.50 for the both!

[​IMG]

The decking is a bit of a mess and I am thinking of putting a sheen on it kinda like I did with this chair.

[​IMG]
    Helen.xxx.

13. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Here are my 'wildlife'....

A very dodgy looking squirrel which I brought for �£5.50

[​IMG]

Here's my effect does it look like a duck sitting on a nest to you?

[​IMG]

Oh and a silly heart for good measure.

[​IMG]
    Helen.xxx.

14. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Your post with pictures came through just after Id typed my last comment! Looks fantasticand a nice choice of gravel ie golden flint. The willow should be a good focal point.

15. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    WAIT there's more!

And now for the back garden....

Just getting started...

[​IMG]

The gravel's down and lines out for the border

[​IMG]

Border dug and nice 'good stuff' added before the plants...

[​IMG]

Notice my purple chairs and chimney pots!

This guy's watching the working progress!

[​IMG]

Helen.xxx.