Hemerocallis, daylily latin names needed pls

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by JPollard, Jun 28, 2011.

1. JPollard

JPollard Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!Please would you help me. A garden centre I visited in the UK stocks the following types of Hemerocallis (aka Daylilies): Corky, Buzz Bomb, Black Magic, Bonanza, Frans Hals and Happy Returns. Do these also have latin names and if so does anyone know them? I'd like to find out if they match any of the Hemerocallis' listed on the 'Plants for a Future' website.

Regards,

Jonathan

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,679
    I think you will find that is the variety/ cultivar name, which is quite often in English, only different species have different latin names.

Not good at explaining such things but I'm sure someone else could add more.

3. simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,318
    Couldn't have put it better myself pete:D, converted from latin hemerocallis means 'beauty of the day' how true:love30::love30:

4. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
  5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Whilst as, Miraflores has pointed out, there are a number of Hemerocallis species (ie plant types that exist in the wild and therefore have full latin names). I suspect that the ones that we see in garden centres are, as Pete said, complex man made hybrids - ie crosses between the different species that have been done so often that nobody now knows exactly how they are related to the wild species.

Wilkipedia says this : - Hemerocallis is one of the very highly hybridized plant genera. Hybridizers register hundreds of new cultivars yearly

The same thing has happened with Dahlias, which are all given the name Dahlia x variabilis. This is not the name of a species, but just a posh way of saying that they are all complex hybrids and that no one can be sure of their parentage. I believe that it is politically incorrect to call them all mongrels. :DOH:

6. Pollies Daylilies

Pollies Daylilies Gardener

Semi retired Accountant, owner Pollies Daylilies
    Ratings:
    +57
    There are 69,000 plus daylilies registered in the US now. I have just over 1,700 so long way to go yet.:heehee: There are some brilliant names and some really daft ones but all are Hemerocallis. There are meant to be about 23 species which these were all bred from over the last 100 years or so but no-one is really sure how many there are as a few may be sub species. Sorry to be so boring:yawn: but nice to know they are listed as "Plants for a Future":yay:

• Like Like x 1
    • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,015
      Pollies - do you really have 1,700 - that truly amazing. :love30:

However do you remember the names of them and where they are. I put labels next to a lot of my plants. Then the next door neighbour comes round with his dog, who loves collecting the labels and chewing them. :heehee:

• miraflores

Ratings:
      +2,389
      I don't know why, but in spite of being beautiful flowers (as you can see from the pictures) I find the look of them disturbing because they remind me of some shellfish. (with all respect for oysters that I would eat for breakfast lunch and dinner...)
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      pic source: www.compagniadelgiardinaggio.it

• Like Like x 3
      • JPollard

JPollard Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +0
        Thanks to everyone for their replies. I now understand that it's probably only the original wild Hemerocallis' that have full latin names whereas the cultivars (of which there are 100's if not thousands) usually only have names such as 'Corky' etc given to them by the people who crossed them.

Anyone who wants to find out about the eedible properties of Hemerocallis should go to the Plants for a Future website (Plants For A Future : 7000 Edible, Medicinal & Useful Plants) and search for Hemerocallis. Hemerocallis Fulva is particularly well rated for it's edible and medicinal properties: (http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Hemerocallis fulva).

• simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,318
        Stunning pictures miraflores, love :love30: the 4th one, do you know the variety?

• miraflores

Ratings:
        +2,389
      • simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,318
        Yet another great daylily site miraflores:D, trust me though i can always pick the expensive ones :heehee:, $300 !!!!, shame they cost so much to ship from the USA, I'll have to wait till Pollie gets it :WINK1: or one like it.

• Pollies Daylilies

Ratings:
        +57
        Peter S

Yes, I do. I must be quite mad. Because we have a small mail order business they are all in straight lines although you wouldn't guess and then on the computer so I can find them easily. We open in the season and by the end of it I usually know what almost all of them are. It is a sign of my madness!

Pollie

• Like Like x 1
        • Pollies Daylilies

Ratings:
          +57
          Hi Simbad

As you know the fluffies are not usually my scene but we have acquired some this year. Bonnie Holley, Fashion Police, Captain Blue, Pat Garrity and at last enough Forestlake Ragamuffin to put in the catalogue:thumbsup: Hampton Court here we come:rolleyespink:

Best Pollie

• Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
          +21
          ages ago on the TV I saw one called 'Isn't she lovely' but have never been able to find it, can anyone help? I love day lillies too