herbs flowering

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by Louiseness, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Louiseness

Louiseness Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I have some pots of thyme, oregano and mint bought as small plants around June, growing really well.

However, they're now flowering (well, the thyme has been in flower since I got it!). I've heard that if I wanted to dry any oregano I'd need to trim the stems before flowering but will leaving them to flower cause any problems? Will they still carry on growing next year and so forth?

Also, how/when is best to prune herbs in general? I also have rosemary, french tarragon and sage. Should I cut any of these back to encourage themto be more bushy etc?

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Louise,

Pick em in the morning before the sun drives off the essential oils & dry them in the shade. Can't see what difference flowering makes to the flavour.

I think oregano & tarragon are annuals, so wont come back next year.

Sage benefits from pinching out.

3. Rockmoc

Rockmoc Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    All of my herbs have flowered and taste no different. I have left the flowers on them in the hope that I can get some seeds. Good luck either way !!:thumbsup:

4. Louiseness

Louiseness Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    See your point about sage, mine has gone mental! Might have a few leaves off it for my dinner sometime soon then :)

I could have sworn the plant label in my oregano said perennial, I won't hold it against it if it or any of the other herbs needs to come inside over winter though! if it's annual that makes sense to trim the stalks off in Autumn though for drying I suppose. Guess I'll just see what happens!

5. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I beg your pardon, Origanum Vugare is a perennial:DOH: I shouldn't make assumptions:DOH:

Won't hurt to protect the plants through the winter, they can get a bit leggy on the window sill but that won't hurt if you're picking them regularly:dbgrtmb:

6. Axel

Axel Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

Of course all of my herbs have flowered and taste no different. I have left the flowers on them in the hope that I can get some seeds. Good luck either way.