herbs in hanging baskets

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by cookygirl43, Mar 4, 2011.

1. cookygirl43

cookygirl43 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    How many herbs can I grow in a 16" basket and wht herbs would be more suited to a hanging basket? and hi! to everyone, im a newbie :WINK1:

2. Daytona650

Daytona650 Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    You should get 4-8 in a basket. Just depends on how big you let them get. The height may look a little odd in a basket but trimming them for use should keep them shorter. Maybe even tuck some cheap lobelia around the edges to please the eye?
    I grow most herbs as annuals so they never get too big anyway. I'd suggest throwing anything in really, I don't think it would matter. Chives, Thyme, Sage, Coriander, and Dill are probably good contenders to start off with.

3. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I think to get the best from your herbs, you'll be a bit limited with a hanging basket. What herbs did you have in mind? Some need more space than others, and they don't all have the same soil preferences.

For something trailing down the sides, may I suggest either nasturtium or strawberries. Then you get to keep to the 'edible' theme for the whole basket.