herbs, lettuce and lilies

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by miriam, Jul 2, 2011.

1. miriam

miriam Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all

I have a few questions
    1- I have sage, basil and parsley, they hav grown and now producing flowers, is the plant still ok?i have told that when they start flowering they mean to reproduce and they are no good anymore
    2-My lettuce have holes in them what kind of pest spray can I use that wont harm us when we eat them?
    3- my liles flowered once would they flower again?

thanks a million!

M.

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Sorry I can't answer very much of this, but:

1. Sage is perennial. It will flower every year once established. Its flowers are lovely and very popular with bumblebees. The flowers may come at the expense of the leaves to a small extent, but the leaves are still perfectly good to use in your cooking (or indeed raw in salads if that's to your taste). If its in good soil the flowers won't cause any problem at all on Sage.

Basil is an annual I believe. One it flowers, the leaves are not great. The flavour deteriorates but their still edible.

Parsley is biennial. If it's flowering it is almost certainly its second year and coming to the end of its life. The leaves and stems are still edible but won't taste as good, and may be a bit stringy.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,957
    Your lettuces sound like slug damage. We just remove the outer leaves and only eat the untocuhed inner leaves. If it is really bad and eating right through your plants then you need slug pellets (some people don't like using these in case birds eat the dead slugs).