Heritage Open Days

Discussion in 'Events' started by JWK, Sep 12, 2010.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,992
    Anyone else took the opportunity to visit places that are normally closed to the public this weekend?

In our next village we visted this lovely Saxon Church and Medieval Barn and had an excellent home made lunch there:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then we visited this Grade II listed roof garden, on the top of a Dept Store in the middle of Guildford. It's quite surreal tucked away up there with the water level up to the paraquet, and over 50 years old! "... primarily a sky garden,... the underlying idea has been to unite heaven and earth; the sensation is one of being poised between the two" Although my grandaughter thought it was just a great big paddling pool.
    [​IMG]

Finally we had a guided tour, around the town Castle and grounds:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lewis Carroll lived near the castle, hence the "Alice Through the Looking Glass" Statue:
    [​IMG]

2. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    Nice pics, John. How lucky that you had sunshine!

3. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Thats a grand tour John. I enjoyed that.

4. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    How pretty....thanks for shairing with us.

5. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,992
    Thanks Clare, Robert & Penny. We were lucky it was such a lovely day.

6. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, cheers for that John, you've just taken me back to my childhood. I was born in Guildford & used to play in that roof garden when it was Harveys department store, later to become A&N.

The castle was one of my favorite haunts too, nice one.

7. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,992
    Thanks for that Ziggy, we moved here in 1985 and by that time the roof garden had fallen into dis-repair and was closed down, so we knew nothing about it till it was refurbished and reopened in 2000. Apparently in its original form it had a waterfall going down the side of the building! I've searched for old photos of it as it's difficult to envisage what it looked like then.

8. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey John,

Don't remember the waterfall, remember falling off the stepping stones & the big koi carp.

Didn't know they'd re opened it, will have to have a look next time i'm that way.

Where was the barn ? Dunsfold ?

9. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Just had another look at the pic, I used to live near the top of the hill in the background, near the ruin of st. Catherines chappel.

10. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,992
    It's a small world Ziggy, we live on the side of the Hogs Back about 1 mile west of St Catherines.

The barn is at Wanborough: http://www.guildford.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3336

On last year's heritage day we got up the top of Guildford Cathedral, theres great views from up there.

We had tickets to go around the Dennis Fire-engine factory on Saturday but had to give them away as I couldn't make it, our friends that went instead said that was a really interesting tour.

11. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, I used to live at the college of law, corner of sandy lane & portsmouth road.

Thought i'd seen the barn before, my best mate lived at Wanborough, he a was also a bell ringer at the cathedral, been in the bell chamber while the bells were ringing, couldn't hear much for hours. My brother did the lead on the cathedral roof & I had an affair with a woman who worked at Dennises.

Blimey :flag:

12. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    PS, The wartime propaganda firm they made a dennis showed tank after tank rolling off the production line. They only had one tank & they were driving it round the back & out the front again and again for the camera.

13. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,992
    Great stories about Guildford Ziggy :lollol:. My son goes to the County school near the station, it was machine gunned by a lost geman bomber in the war, they think the bomber was looking for Dennises, the bullet holes are still visible on the front brickwork of the school entrance, quite big and all pointing upwards.

14. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey, all the hours I spent outside the County waiting for my girlfriend & I never noticed that ! Must have had something else on my mind :wink:

At the bottom of farnham road just before you go over the railway bridge on the same side as the county school (Think its a multi storey car park now)
    There used to be a railway turntable. I was too short to see over the wall but I could hear the steam trains. When I got big enough to see over the wall, they'd finished with steam & dismantled it.

I remember main line steam trains on platform 2. got asked if I wanted to get up on the footplate, but I was too scared of the big hissing thing.

Always regreted that. Theres a little footpath that leads up to mount pleasant, in the tarmac you might still find London & South Western Railway boundary plates.

15. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,992
    Hee hee Ziggy, did you wait in the bus shelter outside the school, its always packed with kids having a not so craft cigarette.

Yes the old engine sheds have long gone, replaced with a car park. I'll look out for the boundary plates when I next walk down into town.

Did you end up making hionest women with any of those girls from Guildford in the end?