Hi everyone and HELP!!!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Blondie, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Blondie

Blondie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey there everyone. What an excelent forum. Everyone is so helpfull and friendly!!! Im new to this forum and am seeking advice! I am planning to buy and erect a 18ft by 50ft polytunnel to grow ALL my fruit and veg in as want to turn old veg patch in to an orchard.(am i mad!?) I hope to have if up by the end of April(after ive done my lambing job to pay for it!!)and have most of the plants ready to plant in it then to. Problem is i have never grown from seed before and never on such a scale. I do have some experience with plants as i am a farmer but want to plant and grow holesume food for me and small family! Any advice from what to grow to how to sow seeds succesfuly would be gratefuly recieved.

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    Hello Blondie and welcome to GC! I'm afraid I am of no help whatsoever on edible gardening but there are lots of folk here who will be able to advice you.

Hope you into the site!

3. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hi blondie welcome to gc

4. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Blondie and welcome to GC [​IMG]

5. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hi Blondie someone else from Scotland everyone is so helpful and friendly and maybe one day even some of us may manage to meet.

I remember our fuchsia club went to Garden Scotland at Ingilston afew yrs back now and another garden site a chap who was in to fuchsias at that time arranged to meet me and aslo brought along fuchsia cuttigns in his car to me .

Here was me going on the bus with freebies a nice guy and his wife to this day we still keep up.

Its amazing how a hobbie can transpire friendships.

6. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    hello blondie welcome to gc
    you will get lots of good advise from these guys
    a lot of clever people,good luck with your polly

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Hi, Blondie!

I presume you have some idea of what you specifically want to grow? Once you know that for sure, you can get organised.

Not all veg needs to be raised in a polytunnel, many can be sown straight into the ground - will you be keeping some ground aside to do this?

As a beginner to sowing seeds, you'd probably be best to use seeds from the big manufacturers, as they have instructions on the packets about what to do, and when to do it, which is a good start. Once you've been through a full year, you won't need that, and can buy cheaper ones!

I presume in your polytunnel you won't have electricity? Any seeds that need to be sown under glass would be best sown and kept indoors on a window-sill to start with, and then moved out to the polytunnel.

Hope that gives you a start - but if you tell us what you're intending to grow, we can give you more directed advice. If you post your questions in the edible gardening section, you won't find that your question gets lost, as it rather has in here! :D

Good luck!

8. high kype

high kype Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  9. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Blondie,welcome to Gardeners Corner.Nice Avatar... :D :D :D I'm a blondie as well [​IMG]

10. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Blondie and welcome to GC [​IMG]

11. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Blondie welcome to gc I have just built a 20x10 polytunnel the most noticeable feature is the difference between nightime and daytime temperatures today it got to 90deg tonight its set to drop to freezing point something you need to consider if you are growing seeds with no heating