Hibiscus Cannabinus

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by sal73, Jan 18, 2013.

1. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    I keep see this variety of annual hibiscus sold as seeds ,
    my question is : will it flower ????

anyone tried?

[​IMG]

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey those leaves would fool a few young lads:biggrin:

No idea Sal, do you mean are they male and female plants?

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Sal - I have no idea. Its not in my small book on Hibiscus - so I can only Google the same sites as you. It sounds similar to H. coccinea though it comes from Asia and not the USA. H. coccinea also grows to 6 foot, is sold as an annual but is really a perennial, and also has cannabis like leaves. Pete has grown H. coccinea and said that it is unlikely to flower outside of a greenhouse. I grew some this year, but they didn't flower or even get to 6 feet. But hopefully they will come back, after overwintering inside, later this year for another go.

Based on that very flimsy evidence, I suspect H. cannabinus is more likely to flower in a greenhouse. Google says they are self fertile - so in theory you could get some seeds from a single plant.

I have got several species of Hibiscus on the go, without much success yet. And this year I have got some Gospium herbaceum seeds (also known as cotton) which is a close relative.