hiding a privet hedge

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by morna, Jun 11, 2008.

1. morna

morna Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I'm an enthusiastic but not very inexperienced gardener with children and work competing for time and attention with my small garden in Glasgow. The garden is at the end of a back lane (Scottish/northern posters will know what I mean) and is very overlooked. There are privet hedges which I don't like - there's not enough aesthetic return on the maintenance. The neighbours don't want them pulled out (fair enough) so I wondered if I could grow anything through or against them. I was also thinking of putting in a couple of narrow trees that won't grow too tall - say 10 - 12 feet. I've heard that eucalyptus can be kept short by trimming - any other suggestions?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and learning a lot more about gardens and plants.

Morna

2. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    Hi welcome on board Morna.

Im not a fan of privet either, maybe a fence up against it then plant in front of that?

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,989
    Hiya morna and welcome to gc. Sorry can't suggest anything to do with your privet, it grows so quickly I can't imagine anything managing to grow through it, but maybe others here will know if eucalyptus could grow alomgside it OK.

4. Slinky

Slinky Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to G.c Morna,make yourself at home:)

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumb: Hi Morna & welcome to GC... I have 40' hedges & you have to like them to cut them..???;):D If you don't like it then I would put up some kind of fencing to keep it out & then you won't have to cut it either as it won't be on your side of the fence.. I would use panels I think or have it done professionally & have closeboard, but always leave a gap at the base so the wind can get under it...!!!!:):thumb: Well that is my idea anyway...

:( BTW, from my daughters experience.... If you try & grow a climber of some sort over or through it you will end up with a very tangled looking messy hedge after a few yrs as one grows faster than the other..:) Good Luck!!

6. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    [​IMG] to the forum Morna. I know where you are coming from I'm not a huge fan of privet hedges either but that's just because all three of our gardens are surrounded by it and it takes a fair amount of work keeping it in trim thank goodness for electric hedge cutters! I'm sure some kind person can help you out although I'm not sure how sorry.Hel.xxx.

7. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Morna.

Apart from the fencing idea already mentioned...how high do you want to grow something?

As an alternative or additional to the fencing..Holly can make a very nice high hedge...(good for Christmas as well) but will take time to grow obviously. But it will survive amongst privet as it is just as greedy.

Is there any chance you could get your neighbours to allow some privet to be removed and indispersed with holly. Might be worth a try? In the previous house I was in for 25 years, my neighbour and I came to that agreement...but as I only had a neighbour on one side there weren't many problems.

Best of luck.:thumb:

8. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Morna!

Welcome to GC.

I actually like privet hedge! When it is trimmed neatly I think it looks great and birds love it to nest in! I would worry about planting anything else too close to your existing hedge as privet takes up so much nutrition from the ground, other things can become a bit deficient on nutrients and water, to their detriment.

I guess at the end of the day, your boundary is your property, if you own your own home, and if you were to feel strongly enough about wanting to change it, you should have the right to be able to - a nice decorative fence with scented climbers wouldn't take too long to get established, and you never know, you may even entice your neighbours to break away from privet and do the same!

Good Luck with it anyway

Kath

9. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    I love my privet, not many of them left down our road now. :(

[​IMG]

10. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15