Himalayan birch idea

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Nickoslesteros, Jul 21, 2024.

1. Nickoslesteros

Nickoslesteros Gardener

Ratings:
    +53
    I'm really keen on planting a multistemmed Himalayan birch in my lawn. I know it's hard to tell from a photo, but do you think the size of garden would stand it? Thinking of it going somewhere there the trampoline is.

How large a specimen should I buy? I see you can pay for older ones, but heard it can sometimes be a struggle to get a larger tree to establish.

Attached Files:

2. Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,080
    I think the garden could stand it. They are graceful trees making dappled shade. Smaller trees do take better and are a lot cheaper. I couldn't find a multi stem for my garden in France so I planted a single trunk one.

3. Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,961
    I also think you have enough space there @Nickoslesteros. They are good for attracting wildlife and the white bark is an attractive feature over winter. (The pollen can be an allergen for hay fever sufferers though.) A younger tree will establish more quickly. I’d wait until the end of next month before planting it in case we get a heatwave!

4. Nickoslesteros

Nickoslesteros Gardener

Ratings:
    +53
    It's good to hear you concur with the smaller tree thinking. I did worry about spending hundreds on something with a very constrained rootball.

As it grows it will probably shade some of my younger roses, but I guess they will need replacing at some point in the future and I can plant new ones to the west (right) side of the tree.

5. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    I think many of the makeover shows made people think it was easy to buy a bigger tree, just plonk it in and it'll all be fine. It's never that simple unless you have the experience and knowledge to maintain it correctly - especially if it's being planted at this time of year.
    I'd love to see how many of those trees are still alive after a year or two!

I'd agree a multi stem birch will be fine in terms of size, as long as the site's well prepped and the right care is given. They take a couple of years to establish and get going anyway.
    The white bark will be lovely in early evening/dusk because it'll glow, so make sure you site it carefully so that you can also see it well from the house windows. :smile:

6. Ladybird4

Ladybird4 I'm a gardener. What's your super-power?

Retired Teacher
    Ratings:
    +5,886
    As @Busy-Lizzie, I just went for a single trunk tree. Mine is a variety called Grayswood Ghost and I absolutely love it. It did not break the bank either in costing. It is a stunning white already - despite only being in my garden for a couple of years. Looking at your garden, I do not think you need worry as you could fit one in there quite easily.
    p.s. I should have said that my tree was about 200cm when I first acquired it so it was easy enough for me to handle it. I staked it for its first year but to be honest I probably didn't need that in my garden and I removed it after the first year and the tree is doing well.

7. Nickoslesteros

Nickoslesteros Gardener

Ratings:
    +53
    That's all good to hear. I guess I will have to stake mine, as we do get a lot of windy days.

The evening colour sounds perfect as the setting sun will frame it nicely for a view from the house.

@Plantminded, good point. Maybe wait till autumn?

Thanks all again!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +4,477
      Yes - always stake, and be sure to do it the right way, ie with a lower, angled stake [into the prevailing wind] so that the roots are firmly anchored, but the top can move. In very exposed sites, you'd need one in both directions.

Autumn is always better for tree planting, unless you're in a cooler, damper part of the country, when it doesn't matter so much, because they aren't so likely to dry out.
      A smaller specimen establishes better, and more easily, which also helps :smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
        Ratings:
        +4,859
        @Ladybird4 Greyswood ghost is stunning - I always used to visit the specimen at Wisely when we went regularly. May I ask where you got it?
        @Nickoslesteros Some years ago someone sold me 3 whips (I think of betula jaquemontii) so I could create a fake multistem faster and cheaper. It would have worked but one of them died so it looked a bit odd. However it might be an option!

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Ladybird4

Ladybird4 I'm a gardener. What's your super-power?

Retired Teacher
          Ratings:
          +5,886
          Hello @CarolineL I got my tree from Mail Order Trees.

• Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +2,961
          @Plantminded[/USER], good point. Maybe wait till autumn?

Because of your dry sandy soil @Nickoslesteros, I’d wait until September to plant it but you could prepare your planting hole in advance, incorporating plenty of organic matter. You could also check the availability of your tree and order it now. Sometimes there's a lead time for availability. If it arrives sooner, just keep it in its pot in a sheltered area for a few weeks until you are ready to plant.

• Agree Agree x 1
            Last edited: Jul 24, 2024
          • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
            Ratings:
            +4,859