Hodgy The Hedgehog

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by honeybunny, Mar 9, 2013.

1. honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,915
    i thought you guys might like to see a few pics of the friendly little hedgehog (named 'Hodgy' lol :heehee: ) who's been visiting our garden for quite a number of years now, he's surprisingly tame and even hibernated in our greenhouse for a few years, then last year we took the greenhouse down and worried about where Hodgy would go :noidea: we needn't have worried...he just moved himself into the shed instead :rofllol:he's there now still hibernating, can't wait to see him again, i call him every evening on the off chance he's awake & mooching about close by... believe it or not but he comes to his name:thud: once he's up & about come dusk as sure as there's little apples he'll be found waiting at the back door for his supper :wub2:

[​IMG]

he's no fear of the dogs at all now at this point.

[​IMG]

thats a lil hedgehog ornament beside him...well, it seemed funny at the time :dunno:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      We used to have one called Steven. He learned that wife and I were no threat to him so used to join us for drink on the patio on a warm evening. He was our regular buddy for about 4 years, but then sadly, one spring, he just didn't turn up. No more rustling in the undergrowth when I went out on an evening. No sudden distinctive crunch of a snail shell busting as it got munched. I like to think that Steven simply found a better garden, but being realistic, I fear it is more likely that he went to the great garden in the sky.

• Like Like x 4
      • honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,915
        awww sorry to hear that Clueless, it is amazing though to have a wild creature put so much trust in you like that, to 'know' you'd never harm him :wub2: we do worry about Hodgy when he's not around, i assume he goes across the road to the woods on the other side :thud: scary thinking that as who hasn't drove past some unfortunate hedgehog on the roadside. makes you want to just wrap him in oodles of cotton wool .

• moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +9,817
        I found one upturned dead in my little pond one morning ever since then I have always had a floater of some sort in the pond so that they can get out if they fall in trying to get a drink. But besides that I always leave some containers around with fresh water in them so they do not have to visit the pond for a drink. I do love these flea laden beautiful critters.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Oh, now i'm happy & sad all at once.

• Agree Agree x 3
        • Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
          Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
          Ratings:
          +54
          Can you believe my 2 teenagers hadn't seen a live one in the wild until 3 years ago when dog found one in the garden. All they saw was a prickly ball, and needless to say he/she didn't make a habit of coming into our garden after the dog incident! (she just barked at it - no harm done!!)
          you are sooooooooo lucky!! :wub2: Honeybunny!!

• Like Like x 1
          • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
            +12,352
            Zigs this will cheer you up , I thought I had lost mine last year as I found one on the lawn gone to the big pincushion in the sky, but no I found her last week coming out of the bamboo (her usual place to stay) looking good been feeding her each night with cat food.

Spruce

• Like Like x 5
            • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Thats cheered me up alright Spruce:)

I'm sure somewhere on GC there will be the tale of the drunken night when I got a Hedgepig stuck on my fist:doh:

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
              +12,352

Zig could of been worse:hate-shocked:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              It could have Spruce, at least it let go after half an hour:phew:

• Like Like x 2