Holding still

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by Diziblonde, May 27, 2007.

1. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    :confused: Still hands, tripod, monopod or other???

I can't decide what the best answer to holding the camera still is... I don't want to end up with lots of large bits of equipment though, your thoughts and experience please

2. Dorsetmike

Dorsetmike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    A tripod is the most stable providing the ground is fairly level, a monopod is probably next best, I use one quite a bit when I'm out, it doubles as a walking pole.
    A bean bag is handy for ground level shots or resting on a fence, wall, car window, car roof etc. There are various forms of clamp which will hold onto a fence or car roof rack or tree branch.
    There is also a device called a chest pod, like a short telescopic rod with a padded end which rests on your chest, and the camera neck strap is adjusted so it is fairly tight.
    A cheap "emergency" support is a lenght of cord fastened to the tripod boss (find a suitable size bolt or threaded eye) under the camera and with a loop at the other end, you put your foot on the loop and that steadies the camera, obviously you have to make sure the cord is the correct length from your foot to camera at eye level, may sound daft but it does help and it weighs very little.
    A remote control cable helps too, surprising how much shake you get when pressing the shutter release button. If your camera does not have a remote release facility it should at least have a self timer, (usually used so you can run round the front of the camera and join the group) if the camera is on a tripod, clamp or bean bag you can press the shutter release, take your hand off the camera and let the timer release the shutter.
    Some you can set the time delay, mine has 2 or 10 seconds, for this purpose I use 2 seconds.

3. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mike, very informative.

What do the rest of you use as a preference??

Does any one use one these chest pod things, are they any good?

4. Hyla arborea

Hyla arborea Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    For absolute preference, where I can, a heavy tripod! But on family outings that's not realistic.... so a monopod with a good ball-and-socket or 3D head on it comes next, because you can jam it up against a wall or something and lean some part of your anatomy on it to hold it steady! You can also adjust the height, which you can't do with a bean bag - so bean bag comes third. (Mine's a bit of old cushion fabric filled with split peas, incidentally!)

I've seen all sorts of weird and wonderful clamps, but they all seem a bit limited and time-consuming to set up - but maybe I jest ain't found a good 'un !! Never used a chest pod - wouldn't want to wear it all the time, and I think it would probably be a right pain to keep taking it off and putting it on again! But maybe that's just me!

For the long lens (400mm) on my 35mm film system I made a "rifle grip" - shaped like a gun with a shoulder pad and stock, and a hand grip underneath which includes a release cable or an electric release, and a handhold for my left hand so I can operate the focussing ring. There used to be a ready-made one called a "Photosniper". May not work with digital bridge cameras though - some don't have cable or electric release socket, and since it's a couple of feet long, bits of it might appear in the picture!!! There may be similar things nowadays for digital cameras though.

I also have a mini tripod - often called a "table tripod" - which I can put on a wall or any flattish surface. Takes the little digital compact very nicely, but might struggle with a bigger and heavier camera.

Hope this helps!

5. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    That's useful, thanks. I think I might end up buying a variety to use in different situations!!

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,679
    I've recently bought a tripod, just a cheap one, but it seems to do what I want and its very light, but has a hook to attach a bag or weight of some kind if stability is a problem.
    Its opened up a whole new interest as far as I'm concerned, taking those set piece shots, as opposed to a quick snap.
    Just need a bit more understanding of my camera, but I'm pleased with the results so far.

7. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Pete, I was looking at those, but there seem to be so many options I don't want to buy the wrong thing :confused:

8. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,679
  9. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ooohhh that looks a good website, I'm going to have a good look around that, thanks.

10. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    If you're out and want support, look for a traffic sign post, tree or gate post and brace your camera against that.

11. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    You can also make a sling/stirrup to attach to the camera with a loop around your foot. You pull up on the sling and it helps reduce movement. Not as good as a tripod/monopod but better than nothing and it weighs next to nothing and can easily be stored in a pocket.

12. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    What sort of camera are you using? I always brace my arm against my chest to resist downward movement when taking hand held shots. I cup the camera in the left hand and the left elbow is in my chest. Certainly works with my present camera and SLRs. Sometimes you have to shoot quickly so the technique works or you can use any object to hold the camera against.
    I often carry a minipod but you really need a wall to put it on or need to lie on the ground!!!
    I have a monopod which is light and a fairly decent tripod. The tripod is best but I find it difficult to fit in my rucsac and it takes so long to set up. It helps having a clip on section that you just clip in and can leave screwed to the base of the camera.

13. Dorsetmike

Dorsetmike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Minolta 5D DSLR, I use a monopod a lot when I am out, it doubles as a walking stick, otherwise I mostly shoot hand held, the anti shake built into the camera helps a lot, about the only time I use the tripod is for really close up macro shots in conjunction with a focusing rail, depth of field is a bit lacking with a set of extension tubes or bellows between the camera and lens.

14. jjdecay

jjdecay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Carefull with 7dayshop.com
    Ive no personal experience,but i've only heard bad reviews.Nothing tooooo serious,but a typical one is that 7 days is more like 7 weeks.
    One not so good review stated that 7dayshop took money from a customer account for items that they didnt have in stock.Of course,when it came into stock,it was sent,but.....
    jjdecay

15. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks to all of you for your input, useful insight there jjdecay, I have seen some mono/tripods in Maplin's for a reasonable price, so I think I will go there instead.

I am thinking of getting the monopod for now, I have been using geoff's technique (elbow in chest)and Lakshall's "leaning on a lampost", up to now. I think that a tripod seems a lot of hassle to set up.