Holes in Potatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by David G, Sep 16, 2009.

1. David G

David G Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi All
    A friend is letting me use a small area of his allottment and I wanted to plant/sow some Parsnips and beetroots next year but he has told me that the potatoes he grew this year had holes in!! I am not aware of wireworm problems in this area but the question is would the Parsnips be eaten by these worms. He called them pin worms but I Googled pin worms and they are a human problem from what I read.

Thanks

Dave

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Dave, I would not recommend planting one root crop after another, it would be better to follow a rotation plan if you possibly can, perhaps he can let you have a different area, or you should really grow Legumes following spuds.

Holes in spuds are most likely to be caused by black keel slugs, I've never heard of pin worms getting spuds but it might be a local name for something else. :gnthb:

3. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Slugs are often the culprit. Some of my crop got nibbled, even though this year I used ground that has never had potatoes in before, so that more or less rules out spud specific pests.

I find that if the ground is prone to staying wet, the problem is worse. Most of my affected spuds were in a patch of ground that was surprisingly soggy when I did my harvest. In the past I once lost an entire crop to slugs, where my tatties were growing in mostly clay which is prone to staying soggy for too long.

4. David G

David G Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I have been up the allottment today and there are some potatoes left on the ground and it does look like you are right I will try to get a photo tomorrow. I guess it would be best to buy more blue pellets as it looks like it is slugs.

Thanks

Dave