holey brussel sprouts

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by auntie, Aug 14, 2006.

1. auntie

auntie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have 6brussel sprouts plants of unknown variety. They are being shredded but I cant find any sign of caterpillars or anything eating them.Anyone else got this problem or any idea what to look for?

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,147
    I had that problem, auntie, with my three plants. One time I found one nice bright green caterpillar and he / she must have been a hungry chappie as he / she gobbled the lot and I had to discard the plants. Shame, because you can only buy tiny packs of Brussels here at an exorbitant price!

3. Big T

Big T Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It has been a bumper year for cabbage white butterflies and although I've picked off quite a few caterpillars, they've had a good old feed on my Brussels.
    We've also noticed a lot of white fly and although they don't eat the leaves they can stop growth as they suck the sap out of them. All of the rain that we've had on the East Coast over the last week seems to have washed the green caterpillars away so it looks good for the Brussels and they are recovering with lots of new growth.

Big T

http://brassicabill.blogspot.com

4. Matty Boy

Matty Boy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Auntie,

We suffer from wood pigeons eating anything vaguely brassica-like. Might that be your trouble?

5. auntie

auntie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    There is absolutely no sign of caterpillars and I dont think the pigeons are eating them.this one has me beat and I think the sprouts are heading for the compost heap

6. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am afraid to say but mine were being eaten alive by the caterpillars so the organic gardening went out of the window and they got bug clear!! They are now thriving.