1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hollyhock disease

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by wren1, May 6, 2017.

1. wren1

wren1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +53
    Me again! I planted a very young Hollyhock last year (I bought it from Poundland) and it didn't do much, in fact, it got eaten by slugs.

It is growing well this year, but many leaves are covered in this lumpy, dot kind of pattern. I presume this is some kind of disease. Can I do anything about it? Do I need to get rid of the plant to stop it spreading elsewhere?

It's in the shade of a bush but is growing tall enough that it won't be soon. Could its positioning be the problem? IMG_20170506_132621.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      I think you'll find it's Scale insect, wren.:dunno:
      [​IMG]

"Scale insect is particularly tricky to eliminate as the adults form hard waxy shells that act as a protective armour. Worse still, on indoor plants the environment allows them to continue reproducing all year round.

The key thing to remember with scale insects is that they are relatively immobile, so infestations are normally brought in when new plants are introduced. This can be avoided by giving all new plants a thorough inspection, regardless of how reputable the supplier is! Use a magnifying glass and check every part of the plant. Scale insect occurs on all parts, so check the stems as well as the leaves. It would also be best to quarantine any new plants on a different windowsill for a month to check that they are not carrying scale insects. The moment that you suspect a problem you must remove the plant to prevent scale insects from spreading.

To combat the current problem on your cyclamen, you will need to use different methods for the adults and the juveniles. Scrape the adults off of the plant with your thumb nail and wipe the foliage and stems gently with a cloth dipped in soapy water. Chemicals are most effective on the crawlers (juvenile forms) as they are more vulnerable before they develop a hard shell. You will need to make a repeat application two weeks later in order to catch any that you missed first time. Make sure you spray the underside of the leaves and the stems too. It is worth knowing that the dead adults do not drop off of the plant which makes it difficult to spot new infestations.

What are the small white 'blobs' on the underside of some of the leaves of my cherry tree? and how do I get rid of them?
      It sounds as if you may have a type of scale insect (a sap-sucking insect) residing on the leaves of your cherry tree. The ‘blobs’ may be a cluster of eggs beneath white waxy fibres.

You should treat them as soon as possible as they will affect the general health of the plant. It’s best to spray the affected areas with a chemical control - there are many available. Look for the ingredients Deltamethrin or Thiacloprid on the container and check they are ok to use on fruit trees (if you are growing the tree for edible fruit). You can also buy winter washes which are applied when the tree is dormant to control over-wintering young nymphs.

Why are all the leaves on my bay tree turning pale brown with spots?
      The little white blobs that look like mould are actually scale insects. These little insects suck sap from the plant and causing a pale mottling to the leaves which eventually turn yellow and drop off. Such infestations can weaken the plant, and may even cause severe die back.

When scale insects first hatch they are quite mobile and crawl around the plant sucking sap until their hard scaly shells form, when they become firmly fixed to one spot. Males, females and juveniles may be present at the same time and they are particularly prevalent from May to August.

The best way to control this is to target the young mobile insects using a systemic insecticide such as Provado Ultimate Bug Killer Concentrate or Scotts Bug Clear Ultra. A systemic insecticide is absorbed through the foliage and kills the scales as they feed. I would also cut any dead stems back to healthy growth to encourage the plant to rejuvenate."

• Like Like x 2
      • wren1

wren1 Gardener

Ratings:
        +53
        • Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Ha ha, not really sitting on the fence but you have rust AND scale Wren
          Hollyhocks are highly susceptible to rust esp on second year and older plants :)

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
            Ratings:
            +6,543
            IMG_0640.JPG This is what some of my leaves look like and I think it is Hollyhock rust and those blobs are the pustules with the rust spores inside:sad: When I am able to I just pull off any that I see in this condition and get rid of them,but do not compost them as I don't know how long the rust can survive for.My Hollyhock still sends out new leaves and as long as the plant is watered and fed it should carry on growing.:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
            • Mark56

Mark56 Super Gardener

Ratings:
              +957
              Mine are the same :noidea: I think a lot of people have given up growing them because of the rust

• Agree Agree x 1
              • wren1

wren1 Gardener

Ratings:
                +53
                Thanks everyone. I've taken the affected leaves off and I'll see if that does anything. Was hoping it might flower this year! Not doing very well lately, everytime I look at a plant I find it has bugs on it!

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                +100,836
                :heehee::snorky:

Don't be too hasty with the trigger, wren, as a lot of them are beneficial for the garden.:coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 1
                • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
                  Ratings:
                  +14,125
                  Hollyhocksare the quintiscensual Cottage garden flower we all think of first I think, but they are actually not easy to grow because of rust and scale.. I cannot grow them in my back garden anymore as they immediately succumb.. At the front they do grow..

• Friendly Friendly x 1