Hollyhock help

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by tangham, Sep 29, 2015.

1. tangham

tangham Gardener

Ratings:
    +20
    I really want to grow hollyhock next year I'm think about buying some young plants online my question is being young will they survive winter.

The seller recommends they stay clear from frost but I thought these plants are hardy.

2. clum111

clum111 Gardener

Ratings:
    +170
    I'd say autumn would be perfect time to plant hollyhock plants, as you'd want them to flower next year. So not sure why they'd say stay clear from frost, unless they mean to give a bit of protection until the plants have established:scratch: But they are hardy and last for years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
      Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
      Ratings:
      +11,493
      they are also easy to start from seeds and do not need the fussy winter over chill like some do. I got some black hollyhock seeds from Monticello in Virginia years ago, supposedly a favorite flower of Thomas Jefferson, one of our founding fathers.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +8,435
        Hi @tangham, we have a seed swap on here at the beginning of the year, to save you a few pounds I bet there would be hollyhock seeds in there if you wanted to join the seed swap :dbgrtmb:
        They are really easy to grow from seed, I'd say the only reason they say protect from frost would be because they are new plants :blue thumb:

• tangham

tangham Gardener

Ratings:
        +20
        Hi
        Thanks for the replies definetly interested in growing my own but I want flowering plants for next year so I'm going to buy one of these collections and then add my own seed grown plants.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • tangham

tangham Gardener

Ratings:
          +20
          Hi
          Just been speaking to a man at Parkers bulbs regarding the hollyhock collection He wasn't sure if they will flower next year because they only sell them in root form and not plugs has anybody got any info regarding Parkers and hollyhock roots they must be from mature plants right so they should flower next year.

• CharlieBot

CharlieBot Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,523
          I've only had bare roots from the pound shop but I foolishly planted them in the ground (early spring) when I should have started them in the greenhouse so they never materialised. Lesson learned!

• tangham

tangham Gardener

Ratings:
          +20
          Really why was that then what's the method growing from root.

• CharlieBot

CharlieBot Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,523
          The ground was too cold and wet for them to get going. Method is place in a decent sized pot of compost and keep barely damp until leaves appear. Too wet and they will rot.

• Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          If they're bare root then that means they're established 1 year old plants and should flower next year.

I don't know where you live ( we've had temps between 18 and 22 deg here )but if you receive them soon you should be ok planting them out now. Now is the perfect time for planting perennials as the soil is a lot warmer than in early spring and the roots can become established before the onset of Winter. Remember, we are only a week into Autumn, Winter is still almost 3 months away.

• tangham

tangham Gardener

Ratings:
          +20
          Anybody know how long it takes for hollyhock roots to start growing once planted.

I dropped on some roots in my local shop planted them in containers and left on my kitchen window they didn't seem to have a top or bottom more like a cut section of root really hope these grow.

• Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          They sound like " root cuttings " to me, not like the " bare root plants " you'll receive from Parkers.

If they are sections if root with no crown ( plant ) in then then you should put them on their side in a pot and leave them in the greenhouse or outside in a sheltered position over winter. You probably won't see any growth before spring.

• Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
          Ratings:
          +6,224
          sown a few from seed on sat and 2 have popped up.. didn't read the packet just assumed I could sow now and plant on before frost.. reading the above, do I plant out before frost, hang on to them until spring in a porch or just start over in spring? thanks.

• Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          If I were you I'd keep them in the porch over Winter. I don't think they'll have time now to really root before the onset of the cold weather.
          At least they'll have a headstart over Spring sown plants and you may even have a few flowers next year.

• Useful Useful x 1
          • tangham

tangham Gardener

Ratings:
            +20
            Hi Anthony thanks for the info I decided to remove the roots and plant them laying down in deep seed trays I have haven't seen any root growth yet, should I see any growth at all.