Home prepared sprays

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Ptarmigan, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    EU notwithstanding it must now be ok to talk about home made insecticides/fungicides cos on BBC4 GQT they described a spray with the 'top' of full fat milk as being effective against something. (!!) I was gardening at the time and not concentrating, mildew or something ?

Remind me to listen again on Sunday, but again it is in the gardening daytime, how silly is that scheduling ? !

2. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    My Grandad used to use milk to spray plants as a treatment for powdery mildew - according to his 'little book' (which I've since inherited - although it's now falling apart) it says 'Powdery Mildew - 1 pint milk to 10 pints water. Spray on.' This would have been back in the day before homogenised or semi-skimmed milk and I doubt he'd have bothered to wait around just taking the cream off the top of full-fat milk each day until he'd 'collected' a pint.

3. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    My Mum used to spray the gooseberrys with milk , she also used the bike pump as a spray :loll: , I had forgotten that .

Spruce

4. Ptarmigan

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

I wondered about homogenised as well, they did say that the milk under the cream was no good because the desired ingredient ( an oil or fat) was only in the cream, but of course it will be spread throughout the modern milk now.

Wish I'd known this before I lost this years gooseberry crop to mildew !:cry3:

Sounds like a very interesting wee book ! Any chance of OCRing and PDFing it !! :)

5. Nightwarrior

Nightwarrior Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I've heard that 10% milk solution was good for mildew. But I don't remember how often to apply it or when. Also, does it work as a preventative measure? My Lambs ears gets terrible mildew, but I always forget to spray it before it gets mildew, or when it has it!!

6. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    Yes I can remember my Dad using Milk sprays too, it is because of its' natural enzymes and sugars.. So it can be used to combat various mildews on cucumber, asters, tomato, squash, courgettes, Bergamot and zinnia foliage. This works by changing the pH on the surface of the leaves, so they are less susceptible to mildew. He used it & I do now at a 9 to 1 mix ratio.. Thoroughly spray plants every 3 to 4 days at first sign of mildews or use weekly as a preventative measure to treat mosaic disease on cucumber, tomato and lettuce in the greenhouse especially but in the garden also..
    .. It seems to work for me as I don't get the problem now.. :yahoo:
    Also you can use Bicarbonate of Soda for Rose mildew.. It is very effective.. Make up a solution of 1/2 (half) a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda to 1 litre of water & spray your roses
    .. If you make it any stronger it will burn the leaves..... :WINK1: :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Plant Potty

Plant Potty Gardener

Ratings:
      +120
      What brand name are you using Marley? and what acids are on the label? I've got a tub of "Borwick's" the agents are sodium bicarbonate and sodium pyrophosphate, they contain (most) have double acting acids, one low temp that works while making batter, and another high temp that rereacts your batter in the oven, sodium pyrophosphate is a high temp acid.

Just interested as another member burnt their leafs with 1/2 teaspoon, they posted on my "Washin up liquid strength?" thread in General, it maybe a case that different brands use different raising agents/acids.

Plant Potty.:)

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,126
      :scratch: Ah Plant Potty good point.. Maybe my description as " Baking Soda" is misleading you.. I am talking about Bicarbonate of Soda.. I only use it in baking so call it that.. I will edit my original post to read Bicarb then... :sunny:
      :WINK1: Oh & by the way I use any brand, at the moment it is supermarket own & there is nothing else in mine..

• Ptarmigan

Ratings:
      +0
      Yes, I was about to post that "Baking Soda" and "Baking powder" are two different things.
      Baking soda is (was, always has been) an abreviation for bicarbonate of soda, sodium bicarbonate, aka sodium hydrogen carbonate. A weak alkali, basic, to give off carbon dioxide when dissolved in an acidic medium,
      the 'leavening' mechanisim.
      It needs to be used (baked) immediately, unlike yeast that gives off CO2 over a long period.

B.Powder however has had many forms over the years (and used to contain tartaric acid which provided the needed acidic environment ) but now I am puzzled as well,, I see no tartaric in the list of ingredients in my pot of B.powder !