Homemade cloches

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by islayhawk, Mar 3, 2012.

1. islayhawk

islayhawk Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Live in a really unperdictable weather area so i was thinking of making some homemade cloches using blue plastic pipe and builders polythene this year to use along with the polytunnel after last years disaster with weather. I intend to make them about 6-8ft long and about 2- 3ftft wide. What height should I make them.

islayhawk

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Depends what you want to grow in them. Good idea though, the wind killed so much stuff off last year.

3. lazydog

lazydog Know nothing but willing to learn

waiting to win the Lotto
    Ratings:
    +641
    I do the same with mesh to keep cabbage whites out and find it easier to have it 5' high so I can get in to weed,its easier than to keep moving the off.

4. islayhawk

islayhawk Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I had intended to grow most of my salad crop in them and having a width of 2-3ft I thought maybe a height of 2ft. Would this be high enough. Would I also get away with this height or growing cabbage, carrots, beetroot.I want to keep the height of them all the same. Pheasants are also a problem in the area.

islayhawk

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    2ft would seem about right :)