1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Honeyberry

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Mike77, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Has anyone had any success growing Honeyberries? Just bought 1 and thinking about getting some more. RHS says they produce fruit late spring/early summer so would be good to get some fruit earlier in the year.

2. Black Orchid

Black Orchid Gardener

Ratings:
    +583
    I have had 2 experiences of growing honeyberry especially, one is good and one is awful. The first experience was in Moscow region of Russia where we had 2 beautiful bushes of honey berries. The berries were the first berries and they were delicious. But the bushes looked marvelous even without berries especially in autumn when the leaves turned yellow and red.
    So when I moved to England in decided to plant honey berries here as well. Several years ago I managed to buy 2 bushes and planted them in pots. It was the first time this summer that started having berries on them but they look absolutely different. They are supposed to be about an inch long with a perfect sweet and slightly sour taste. Mine look round and very small, about 5-6mm in diameter and absolutely bitter. The bushes look very nice though their leaves do not turn yellow and red in autumn. The disaster with berries as they are so bitter that it is impossible to eat them upsets me a lot. It took me several years to grow them to the moment when they started flowering and producing berries. I have read on internet that a lot of gardeners encounter the same problems with too small and too bitter honey berries. So it isn't only mine bad luck with them.

• Informative Informative x 1