Honeysuckle dying?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Karen1986, Jun 14, 2023.

1. Karen1986

Karen1986 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi

Inexperienced Gardner looking for advice…

I planted honeysuckle at my trellis a good few years ago now. It’s roots are mostly shaded and leaves get the sun. It’s grown fairly well but it did get a powder on the leaves(maybe last year?) so I bought some anti fungal spray to help.

This year it isn’t really growing and I wonder if it’s dying. Can anyone advise from the pictures? I’ve been watering it most nights esp with the heat and lack of rain. I last fed it at the start of spring.

Thanks

0412DDEF-72DD-4C98-84EF-54C2E4F02897.jpeg 27FCF253-BF15-43D9-9428-E751F4671598.jpeg 0F871D76-268B-4CD7-B31D-9C8BB82669D8.jpeg 92B63E98-9DDE-41BC-BE82-6438C599BBED.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2023
  2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,551
    @Karen1986
    Sounds like powdery mildew, some honeysuckles are a martyr to this and the slightest stress (dry spell, wet spell etc) and they are covered in it. Some people swear by diluted milk sprayed on the leaves roughly one third milk two thirds water; I haven't tried it myself.
    Some of my honeysuckles get it most years, others are never affected.
    Will it kill your honeysuckle? possibly as it gradually weakens the plant, but takes a few years.
    As for watering I wouldn't water most nights I would check the soil and see how dry it is a couple of inches down, if dry give a good water and then don't water until it has dried out to a similar extent.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Karen1986

Ratings:
      +5
      Thanks, that’s really helpful. Hopefully nothing that I’ve been doing/not doing then. I’ll have to give the milk a try

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +22,551
      Curious thing the honeysuckle that usually suffers from downy mildew; well I cut it right down last year and it's resprouted, is flowering nicely and no sign of any mildew yet.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +91,981
      Just wondering if along with the mildew it suffered a aphid attack earlier as it looks distorted, aphids could well be gone now.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Karen1986

Ratings:
        +5
        I might try cutting it back as it hasn’t grown at all this year. Worried it just doesn’t grow back .

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +22,551
        @Karen1986 I didn't know if mine would come back, but I thought either it would come back and might look better (which has happened) or it wouldn't return and I could plant something else that might be happier there.