Honeysuckle leaves turning yellow

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by yelf, Oct 10, 2010.

1. yelf

yelf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i have 3 honeysuckle pants which i planted about 6weeks ago. They clearly started growing once planted so im quite happy they have taken to the ground.

But in the last few days ive noticed the leaves start to turn yellow - shoudl i be worried? thanks

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,139
    Hello yelf. I think you have probably bought the deciduous variety of Honeysuckle and they are now losing their leaves ready for the winter. Mine is doing so already. If they have settled in as you say, they will send new leaves in the Spring and grow quite quickly.

3. yelf

yelf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well they are Lonicrea Henryi which are evergreen? :cnfs:

4. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    Henryi are evergreen but will shed all year round. Is it all of the leaves or just some?

I've just taken this really poor photo of mine which shouldn't be described as a plant, more as a biomass :lollol: From memory it always has some yellow leaves at any point, more so during a growth spurt as the old makes way for the new.

[​IMG]

5. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    It is 40 degrees F. here. I am looking at my Honeysuckle still in full green leaf, on my railing. Its been going strong for about 5 years plus. Can't recall it being naked in the winter, just full of snow.
    Can't recall its actual name, but as we get well below freezing many a winter, it is probably a zone 4. I do recall when I read about it, it said it was a hummingbird magnate, and so it is. It blooms a good amount 2 times from spring to fall.

6. yelf

yelf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

see pics - note all 3 plants are showing the same but to different degrees. thanks

7. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,139
    Normal leaf loss? ... I don't know where you are ...

8. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    They look fine and look very healthy.

There's plenty of recent, new growth on the two we can see well. They'll be concentrating on getting their roots down over the coming months then next year they'll be well away. They'll shed leaves all year round and the ones they're losing at the moment are for the good of the plant, nothing to worry about.

Lose the label on the plant in the foreground and any others. They'll constrict the stems over a period of time.

9. yelf

yelf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0