Hopeless task?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Bunslip, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Bunslip

Bunslip Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking of growing veg this year but my garden is north west facing, sloping down away from the house!

Will it be a complete waste of time- some sun in the afternoon....soil is chalk...doh, shallow topsoil, double doh. B

2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Growing veg can be a problem in any conditions.
    I remember reading somewhere that; "the seed packets you buy come in handy as you can put your crop in them at harvest time."

My opinion is that if you've a garden that's a decent size it can be worthwhile but if I'm honest, in the past given the cost of preparation etc., it's as cheap or cheaper to buy veg in season as it is to grow your own. But as they say "each to their own."

I got rid of a big cedar greenhouse and grassed over the veg patch 30 years ago, despite the fact that our house as was the whole of our road, built on farmland in the sixties, so the soil was good. We've experimented with potatoes on the back patio in big tubs for the last two years, but frankly, though the several varieties of potatoes were fine, by the time they got on my plate, I couldn't tell the difference between them and those we buy from M&S. I'm not going to bother this year, we've put fruit trees in the tubs instead.

If anyone is really interested in growing veg, I'd recommend an allotment. It's a way of getting help and you can swop surplus produce. In some areas allotments are hard to come by, but in other areas, particularly the more affluent areas of West London where my daughter lives, few people want them. Her father-in-law rents one and cultivates five vacant ones.

Anyone want any carrots?

3. Bunslip

Bunslip Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    "the seed packets you buy come in handy as you can put your crop in them at harvest time."

love It!!! Maybe I'll start off with a raised bed or two just to experiment with unusual varieties etc. Yeah, i would love an allotment and Im on a few waiting lists...7 years and 10 years...Ill be dead by then

God Bless John Cushnie RIP

4. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I grow all my own veg Bunslip and if you want to grow some I am sure you will manage.
    Salad leaves and Pak Choi will do well in an area with shallow soil and not too much sun.
    I grow all my veg in raised beds as I find that much easier to manage.
    As you suggested yourself you could start with a raised bed and grow the more unusual and expensive things.
    Good luck with the project.

5. Bunslip

Bunslip Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for being positive Alice!! I will let you know how I get on...

6. Bunslip

Bunslip Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I ve always fancied having a go at a giant pumpkin too!!!! The kids would be over the moon!!

7. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Give it a go Bunslip, my garden is on shallow chalk and on a steep slope on the North side of the Downs. It's not ideal but it's all I've got and I can grow most veg. At first I disliked the chalk but then found that most veg like the alkaline soil, plus it's easy to dig and work most of the year. You will need to increase the soil depth, raised beds are a good idea as Alice suggests. Chalk soil is 'hungry' so it needs plenty of organic matter and/ot fertilixer every season. I'm sure Pumpkins will do OK, I grow them every year - I give them a couple of wheelbarrow loads of well rotted compost for each plant and don't try planting them out too early - July is good for Surrey I've found over the years.

You won't know if it will succeed unless you try so give it a go, start with a few things that you know you like.

8. Bunslip

Bunslip Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    JWK, well done that man I will go for it. B

9. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Shade is more of a problem than which way the plot faces.

If you have a problem soil then raised beds can be a solution. Brassicas like a limey/akaline soil (also have less of a problem with clubroot), spuds prefer a slighlty acid soil

10. theplantman

theplantman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    as has been said give it a go. Steer awsy fom sun lovers tomatoes cucumbers squashes etc potatoes and brassicas should do well with a bit of effort working the soil. Currants and rhubarb dont need lots of sun dont know how they would cope with soil.