Hornbeam planting

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Sandy Ground, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
    Ratings:
    +5,368
    Not really sure if this is the correct area for this, but anyway.

I'm planning to plant a short hornbeam hedge in a few weeks time. Des anyone have any advice regarding this? Ground type, preparation, anything at all.

I think that I have most aspects covered, but would like to read advice from any of you, just in case I have things wrong.

2. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,628
    I've planted a couple of hedges - some bare root and others from pots.

If bare rooted - don't bother digging large holes and planting them in with a load of compost. Push a spade into the soil and wiggle it about to form a slit in the ground. Trim off the longer roots and place the plant in the slit - then firm with your foot. That's it.

I planted bare roots in both slits and larger holes with compost - it made no difference to their growth rate.

• Like Like x 2
    • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,830
      I have planted a few hundred metres of mixed hedges, including hornbeam over the years. If you plant before the end of March you can plant bare rooted which is very much cheaper. I would do it as soon as possible. I have used Clanless's method but much prefer the digging of holes method. They establish much quicker and grow much better in the early years if you properly prepare the soil. I do it by digging the hole, adding manure and filling in and topping up with more manure. If you don't have access to manure, any organic matter will suffice. Don't know what your soil type is but hornbeam is happy on clay.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
        Ratings:
        +5,368
        Bare rooted plants are very uncommon here. The only ones I have ever seen are privately imported roses. So they will be in either pots (most likely) or possibly jute bags.

My soil is sandy (hence my name!) so I will be putting plenty compost and/or peat in the holes, probably some bonemeal as well.

I'm just hoping that I haven't missed anything.

• Like Like x 1