Horse manure in veg planter

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by ChrisWales, May 22, 2023.

1. ChrisWales

ChrisWales Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Very much a novice so bear with me...

I have a new brick veg planter, growing medium depth will be about 15" or so. I filled it with decent quality soil and some bought compost but was still about 2 or 3 inches from filling it.
    A friend has horses and someone had mentioned about adding manure so I went round and collected some of what seems to be "rotted" manure as I took it from underneath and it was warm etc. Still seemed a bit "pooey" for want of a better word but I went and mixed it in.
    Now we've read it should be more like compost by the time we add it, I think because of the hygene risk of e-coli etc.
    Thoughts appreciated :)

2. Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,769
    It depends what you want to grow. Potatoes will absolutely love it, but I think it might be a bit rich for most veg.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,075
    Don't think I'd worry about e coli, but just think it might be a bit too fresh.

Just try it and see how it grows.

4. Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,769
    Sorry, I missed the e coli bit. E coli exists in nature. We're exposed to it constantly. It is usually harmless. I think it's one sub variant that causes food poisoning and horses don't typically carry any harmful pathogens. You're more likely to catch e coli off shop bought salad, where a picker has been itching his bum while picking or packing.

Wash veg before use and you'll be fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
      Ratings:
      +1,155
      It would have been better if it was more rotted, as the soil mirobes do prefer small mouthfuls!
      If you are still concerned, then avoid planting salads for a month or two. Any crop that is raised above soil level, or where you eat them cooked will be fine.Regarding injury to the plants, you may assume, once spread ,any ammonia will escape to atmosphere. I would return to your horsey friend and collect much more. It will be a valuable addition to a compost heap to supply for next year.
      There is a theoretical risk of aminopyralid contamination (its a chemical spray that the supplier of hay may have wrongly used on his weeds; it can persist , through the horse, for up to 4 years.) This is not harmful to you.

• ChrisWales

Ratings:
      +7
      Thanks for the replies. I think what I will do at the weekend is get a plastics sheet down and lift some of the contents of the planter out and dig it back in as i was struggling to turn it over properly in the small space.
      Hopefully it will mix in a bit better and compost in if that is the correct term :)

• ChrisWales

Ratings:
      +7
      planter.JPG said planter...

• Like Like x 1
      • infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
        Ratings:
        +1,155
        Why not add a topsoil screen; for you have a brick width spare capacity. Add 25-50mm of soil and plant. All you need then is a handful of earthworms and you are ready to roll.
        Just a thought, have you built in any drainage at the base ?

• ChrisWales

Ratings:
        +7
        I put in a series of drain holes along the bottom :blue thumb: I did see some worms as I was turning it over too. I didn't really want to brim it too much so as to keep the soil from spilling onto the patio when my 11 year old starts "farming" it :) If it settles a bit I'll try and add some soil