Horseradish

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by pamsdish, Oct 27, 2008.

1. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    Hi Guys
    Iplanted a chunk of horseradish root in a pot back in late spring, it seemed to grow away quite happily, i havent looked yet but what i wanted to do was increase my stock this year. so i know i have got to keep it in a container,what i wondered is should i just dig it up chop it into pieces and replant it or should i bring it in for the winter.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Hmm I'd be interested in the responses to this as well Pam, I'd completely forgotten I''d planted some horseradish a couple of years ago - it got bigger so I replanted it in another place this year and there seems to be just one plant still - never thought it might need sub-dividing or something.

3. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    Seems Horseradish is not widely available :lollol:

4. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    From memory, my Nanna used to have one in a pot that she took in for winter. She chopped a bit off whenever she wanted it and put the plant back in-she did the same with ginger too I think, but that was a long time ago and my memory is worsening as I age. I would love to have it but leave it outside, but I think it needs to be out all year starting from spring for that.

5. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    What chop a bit off the root? I suppose that would work - I've never even tried to make any sauce with it - must try sometime soon as I really do like it very hot - it would be good at Xmas.

6. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    The instructions that came with mine were, chop a piece off for re-planting,
    peel and grate up the rest mix with a little cream, and use sparingly. My OH and i like hot curries etc and beef needs horseradish
    i suppose you could freeze any unused before cream added.
    Apparently when you are grating it ,its 50x worse than onions.

7. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I remember an Uncle making some years ago and after peeling/grating he took a sniff over the bowl - well it nearly blew his head off - he had tears streaming down his red face it was so strong - so that 'sparingly' bit is something to watch Pam :)

8. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have yet to try it fresh there is so much growing on the allotment. I keep looking at it and walking away from it.:(

9. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24

Yes, I am 99% sure that`s what she did-at least when I was lwatching her on visits, she may well have divided the root clump too-unfortunately for a certain starry eyed little girl I had to live with my Mum and Dad and not at my Nannas.

10. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    Horseradish grows easily from pieces of root that are chopped off and even from the tops (like carrots). If you grow it in the ground be aware that it can spread and is very difficult to get rid of. The roots can easily go down 10ft.

I grew it in the garden and spent many years getting rid of it. I got around this problem by planting it along the grass verge between the farmer's field and the road and all I have to do now is stroll down the road with my garden fork and dig some up when I need it. Some of the neighbours also use it.

Always be near an open window when grating it. For the equivalent of a small jar full:-
    Before starting to grate it put a little (couple of tablespoons) wine vinegar in the bowl and dissolve a quarter of a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt in it. Then add a quarter teaspoon of mustard powder. Grate the horseradish into the vinegar and stir well. Add the single cream to make it into the consistency you require.

You will not be able to taste the vinegar but it will enhance the flavour. :thumb:

11. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Thanks shiney, what a useful mine of information you are :)

I have seen it growing in verges in some places, but hadn't realised it was so invasive - so I will follow your idea, transplant it from the veg patch to the roadside - a bit like those urban guerrilla gardeners :thumb:

12. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks to Pam who sent me a chunk off hers, I planted it in a pot and have it on my kitchen window sill and now have three healthy leaves sprouting out the top. I also sowed some chives over the top of it and they are coming on a treat too. So thanks Pam, I will put it in a large planter in spring and that should stop it from ravaging the garden.