Horseradish

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Cody Wellard, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Cody Wellard

Cody Wellard Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    About 5 years ago I was given some horseradish root, it has done very well, but I have never harvested it. I am not sure when to dig it up. I would love to learn how to make horseradish like you buy in the stores. If you have any experience with growing horseradish or preserving it I would appreciate your feedback.
    Cheers!
    Cody Wellard:)

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :scratch: Well I never harvest my horseradish until the frost has killed the leaves off as you want to use a dormant root not a green growing one as they do not have the flavour of the dormant ones..
    Dig them up in small clumps or individually, scrub them off & replant at least one new small root from each small clump you dig, to start growing again, or even a 10" peice of bare root replanted will be a plant later... :WINK1: Scrub them off & grate or chop very fineley as recipe desires... WEAR GLASSES OR EYE PROTECTION SO AS NOT TO GET SPLASHES OF JUICE IN EYES....!!!!
    Here are a couple of recipes I love to do....
    Horseradish recipes | Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall | Food and drink | Life and style | The Guardian
    I have another recipe somewhere will find it.. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2