Horses and Ivy . A quick question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Charlie996, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
    Ratings:
    +857
    Can anyone please tell me the answer to the question is Ivy poisonous or harmful to horses ?
    My apologies for not asking in a specific area but I could do with an answer asap please.

Many thanks !

Charlie.

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    According to Wikipedia Ground Ivy is poisonous to horses so hope this is helpful to you

• Informative Informative x 1
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      We have had horses here at home for 13 years and horses in a previous property for 15 years. In both fields at the 2 homes our horses could get access to Ivy growing up trees. No deaths to report! Horses are pretty good at knowing what they should and shouldn't eat. We pull Ragwort whenever we see it but if we miss any the horses will eat round the ragwort rosettes. Likewise we have Foxgloves, again considered toxic and the horses avoid those too. Unless horses are starving they will avoid plants which aren't good for them and while they might have the odd nibble they won't devour Ivy, unlike the wild deer which gorge on it at this time of the year here. I fed 1 of our horses loads of mare's tail as he loved it. I hadn't a clue it was meant to be poisonous, horse never batted an eyelid and competed at a very high level despite being fed "poison". If I was you I'd ignore there being Ivy about, just make sure the horse/s have plenty of fodder (hay/ hayledge) so they won't turn their attention to anything which might not be so good for them.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        They won't eat it by choice.

• Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
        Ratings:
        +33,006
        I think but not sure that have have to eat alot to make themselfs ill, seen cattle eat ivy and ragword and not died untill old age or .....you know what

Also animals will eat things they shouldn't if they're lacking in minerals

• Informative Informative x 1
          Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
        • Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
          Ratings:
          +857
          Thank you all for the replies it really helps !

I had googled it but google sometimes gives conflicting views depending of course on who wrote them. It soon became apparent that those giving opinions were not people into gardening or growing things.

My thoughts were that it is quite safe but still thought it best to ask !

Thanks again !

Charlie.