Horses Tails

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Gazlinss, May 19, 2010.

1. Gazlinss

Gazlinss Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone please help me with these damn weeds, I have been on the internet to see what it says about weedkillers etc about how to kill these horses tails. It says that round-up is the only thing that may kill them. I have got really strong membrane down and also approx 5 inches of gravel on top and they still get through. Can anyone suggest any other way of killing them off.:mad:

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Good evening Gaz and welcome to the site. The root om Mares Tail has been found 9 metres down in a mine, it can grow up through solid concrete. So your method has no chance. Treat it with Glyphosate, frequently. You can either pay through the nose and but Roundup, or you can go to Wilkinsons and buy the same product ( glyphosate ) for a quarter of the price.:gnthb: You will need lots.:old:

3. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    To add to Dais advice. Try bruising the stems before you apply it.:wink: This plant has a hard covering on the stems. This might help the pesticide (see Dai, I'm learning:hehe:) to penetrate into the plant. :)