Hosepipe ban

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Kristen, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "Southern Water, South East Water, Thames Water, Anglian Water, Sutton and East Surrey, Veolia Central and Veolia South East are to enforce restrictions.Five of the companies said they will impose bans from 5 April."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ea...announced-for-8-million-as-drought-bites.html

"Hosepipe ban to be imposed in drought-hit parts of UK

Southern Water, South East Water, Thames Water, Anglian Water, Sutton and East Surrey, Veolia Central and Veolia South East are to enforce restrictions.
    Five of the companies said they will impose bans from 5 April."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17340844

59020419_uk_water_drought_464_2.gif

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    • Like Like x 1
    • OxfordNick

OxfordNick Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,615
      I was just reading that - going to be a right royal PITA keeping things watered ; I've got three waterbutts out the back but I can empty them all in a couple of weeks when everythings growing.

I feel some sneaky refilling-from-the-tap under cover of darkness coming on..

• gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
      +1,663
      I've read that Northumbrian Water have again been in discussion with Yorkshire water to supply water by ROAD.
      Should be cost-effective - shouldn't it?

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      That doesn't appear to differentiate between using a hose pipe and using a water can. Hope they don't ban watering veg using a can, making me pay drought prices for stuff from the shops, or trucked from Spain.

We're going to need to take an awful lot of baths every day to keep our veg watered with bathwater.

• Like Like x 2
      • SiXpence

SiXpence Gardener

Ratings:
        +47
        :hapydancsmil::hapydancsmil::hapydancsmil:Rain dancing <--

• Like Like x 2
        • Dopey

Dopey Heathrow Nr Outer Mongolia (sunny south)

LGV Films
          Ratings:
          +100
          Will this apply to allotment holders, and those of us that keep chickens ducks ect? in the back of my brain (and its a very small one) I always thought these were exempt form bans

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,668
          Doubt they will be exempt, I doubt anything will be. Don't suppose there will be any rebates for failure-to-deliver-the-expected-service either ...

Wish I had been able to "store" the water from the 6" main that runs under my garden and which burst last week. Maybe it can burst "again" when things look parched in a few months time? !!

I'm mulling over two things:

1. Replace cesspit with a digester that will output garden-ready quality water. We use almost exactly twice as much [metered] water in Summer as in Winter, so if I can "reuse" all the household water onto the garden I should be "sorted"

2. Get a borehole. Economics of that are dreadful, but not if I can't keep my plants alive.

No idea why Anglia Water are imposing a hosepipe ban, I thought all our water came from boreholes, rather than rivers & reservoirs, and if that's the case then there is unlikely to be any issue - groundwater evens out over many years.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          All sorts of regulations about bore holes Kristen. As you say, horrendously expensive to start with.

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,593
          http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/science-environment-17338595

snip:
          A number of water companies in the southern half of England, covering about 20 million people, are understood to have contingency plans in place that could lead to bans on non-essential uses, perhaps before the end of March.
          These could include bans on car-washing, watering gardens and filling swimming pools

does that mean that you may even be banned from watering your gardens with a watering can? ....

and I don't know how that relates to using stored rainwater from your water butts?

• Gay Gardener

Gay Gardener Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,978
          Apparently the kind beings at your local water company have said it is ok for us to water gardens/wash cars with a watering can or similar :dunno:

It does make me angry, if companies undertake to own water supply rights then surely it is not too much to expect that they plan ahead for possible water shortages? Why aren't they held accountable by the regulator?
          Anglian Water where I live have a poor reputation for wasting water due to ongoing leakages in the system. I don't want to get all heavy and political about it on our friendly gardening forum, but AW is actually owned by a consortium of Canadian/Australian and 'other' companies most of which seem to be mostly venture capitalist and investment interests. Well, it does make you wonder if they are actually interested in supplying customers with an essential of life, water, or just making profits :mad: Veolia, one of the other major regional water companies is actually French owned.

Grrrrr. I will shuddup now and go and have a glass of vino.

• Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
          +446
          Depending on the area you're in you can still water anything newly planted including large lawns.

You can do what you like with water you've harvested yourself. There's obviously a few people who fill their water butts under the cover of darkness though.

If anyone does live in an affected area now's a good time to get water in the ground around anything non drought tolerant and get a nice thick layer of mulch on (If you don't harvest rain water obviously).

• roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +7,090
          :smile: I will still be topping up my fish pond as and when needed,I am pretty sure that is ok though..........livestock:smile:

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,248
          Some time in the 90's when we had that hot dry summer. We were driving to York races on the M62 . The big reservoir just as you are getting into Yorkshire was being filled by tankers from the Kielder reservoir in Northumberland . The tankers looked minute , it really was like filling a bath with a teaspoon - with the plug out :biggrin:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +91,679
          I think you are right roders.

If the ban comes, that will be it for the summer, only chance of them taking it off this year is if we get summer floods, ie only use for a hose, pumping out your property.

I think we need to drastically rethink how we collect and store water in this country, that is if we want to keep upping the population.