House Move To Overgrown Garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by mpeill, Aug 2, 2007.

1. mpeill

mpeill Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We've just moved into a house with a garden that is totally overgrown with weeds, predominantly nettles (literally 6 feet high!), but other things as well (sorry I don't know the names, but we're talking waist high). Only a small area of Rhubarb is of any use.

The plot is about 40 feet by 40 feet.

Digging the whole area is out of the question because of my back problems. Can anyone suggest what I can use (dare I say weedkillers) to clear the plot, kill the entire plants including root systems, yet leave no residue in the soil so things can then be planted in due course?

Should I first use a strimmer to get the level down first?

2. OogieBoogie

OogieBoogie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi and welcome.

Woolies have a sale on at the moment - a large Glyphosate for �£8 (I think), if not then some garden centres have offers at about �£13. It has a spraygun attachment built in so you don't even need to contaminate your watering can. On the back it will tell you how much it covers, though I suspect one would be enough. I think it attacks through the leaves and kills down to the roots, but becomes inert on contact with soil, so I guess you don't cut down first.

Anyone know if that's the case if they're 6ft tall or if you should have them first?

3. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi mpeill we moved house after 22 years in my old house to nothing more than a unloved patch of earth.So I know what you are going through!

I would just take things really steady, if you can manage to strim things down then it may be worth a try.It would certianly be better to look at for you.

Normally one would wait a year to see what your garden springs up, but it's so hard to put up with a messy garden at this time of year isn't it?

I'm sure someone on here will be able to give you some great advice. [​IMG]
    Helen.xxx.

4. Fonzie

Fonzie Gardener

Transportation
    Ratings:
    +15
    I would go with Oggieboogies suggestion. less work for the old back!

5. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    You could try strimming everything down to about 1 foot so that you leave some leaves on the weeds. Then use the Glyphosate. "Kill 'em all"(Starship Troopers) Start again in Spring. You can use the Winter to plan your garden. Good luck. I've had to do this twice. [​IMG]

6. mpeill

mpeill Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all who have given their contributions, all very much appreciated.

I'll now set about the long task in the knowledge that one day I'll have a garden in place of a wilderness.

7. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Oh mpeill, it will be such fun creating it!

8. the insane gardener

the insane gardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Glyphosate is a systemic herbicide absorbed through leaf tissue. It interferes with the cells that transmit water up through the plant blocking water uptake thereby killing the plant (weed). CAUTION IT IS NOT SELECTIVE AND KILLS EVERYTHING! The chemical is neutralised on contact with the soil. Have a look at the do's and don'ts at www.plotkeeping.talktalk.net and use the links there for information on the types of weeds that you are dealing with. You might want to consider using a flame gun like the Sheen on your jungle after applying the herbicide - it has the advantage of burning away seeds. But wait until the weeds are thoroughly dried out first.