How best to "move" plants at this time of year?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by "M", Apr 23, 2014.

1. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    Okay, I have no doubt that, in a perfect world, plants would have been moved/transplanted during the dormant months (Nov-March?).

But, what if needs must and someone would like to transport some shrubs to relocate elsewhere - entirely? Would it be better, at this time of year to:-

a) dig up, pot on and then transplant the whole thing?
    b) take copious amounts of cuttings, cross fingers and hope for the best?
    c) a+b above?
    d) other
    e) none of the above?

I know our @Freddy is on the move and it occurred to me he may not be the only one - or, if he is, he may not be the only one *ever*, so thought it was worth a thread.

@Zigs What have you chosen to do with yours while you are "inbetween" abodes?

Thank you :)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,352
      "m" what plants are they , how long have they been growing in your soil , I think will help with your question as some may be more easy just to take cutting ...

Do a list and we can all help out

if I understand the question is it you , or a thread for on here ?

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        It can be done. A few summers ago, during a hot dry spell, my dad moved house. He wanted to take some of his established shrubs with him, so in blazing heat we dug them up, moved them as fast as we could to their temporary holding area on his allotment, and gave them such a thorough watering. Some suffered badly, but all survived.

• Informative Informative x 2
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          Ok, it's me; I'm on the move (well, finger's crossed!)

Clearly, none of the plants have been here longer than 3 years and, at most, just coming up for 4.

Last year, I planted up a Thugja Occidentalis (?) and it seems to have loved it's new home. I would love to take it with me, along with an Amelanchier (also only planted from pot last year).

I have a smoke bush which I'm not overly fussed about, but it might look nice if I could take it. Been in the ground 2 years now.

I have some spotted laurel - now, they have been in the ground a good 3 years but have some very lush new growth I though I may be able to take a few cuttings from?

My day lillies (most planted last year, but with one that has been here forever!) I would like to transplant, but, I think that would be pushing it a bit?

I have a couple of fruit trees which were planted two years ago, but, I doubt they could be transplanted and "trained" into fans, so I think I have to cut my losses there.

I don't regret my plantings, and I won't break my heart if I can't take anything with me because I have learned so, so much from my experiments here ... it would just be nice to have a couple or so of favourites.

Oh and my honeysuckle (don't know the variety) which I managed to get here from my previous place and is flourishing madly since last year. Now *that* I would love to take with me ... for it's history!

I'm also exceedingly time poor because I'm working full time now too, so I'm looking for the impossible: quick answers, quick fixes and a wing and a prayer :redface:

• Like Like x 1
          • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +15,303
            Some of the things you mention will be a doddle, 'M'....others, well, they'd be tricky. So much depends on the type of roots and how well they've got out into the soil.
            First, cuttings....honeysuckle is easy! Cotinus (smoke bush) isn't...it's usually layered, but that takes time, so it's all or nothing for that. The daylilies should move well. If you can pot them up, or divide them and pot up clumps, keep well-watered then they can be planted in their new home at any time.
            Aucuba cuttings should be easy enough.
            The Thuja and the Amelanchier will be a bit tricky. The conifer will need shelter from wind and hot sun while it re-establishes, as well as regular watering. Not sure what sort of roots an Amelanchier has, but it's going to resent being dug up while it's in full growth! If you've got time to pot things up and nurse them through the shock, you might pull it off:) Good luck!

• Informative Informative x 1
            • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
              +100,838
              Don't dig up and move anything in the "dry state", "M", the plants will stand a much better chance if the area around them is soaked first and then dug up.:snork::coffee:

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                Only had Boris the Olive tree in a pot, onions spent a few weeks on the dashboard of the car, and wrapped the Cactus pot up in bubble wrap so it wouldn't spill :)

• Like Like x 2
                • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
                  Ratings:
                  +12,517
                  Hiya "M":)

I'm not taking much with me. I have a few Rhododendrons that are in large pots, sunk in the ground (my soil here is Alkaline), which I'm taking. Apart from that, just a couple of large grasses, which I've dug up and put into large pots. Not ideal, but it's either that or nothing. They should be ok though, tough as old boots:blue thumb: I'd have planned to take more, but the garden in the next house is pretty well stocked.

Cheers...Freddy

• Like Like x 1
                  • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
                    +0
                    Nice one 'Mum' :fingers crossed: for the move:thumbsup:...Good luck:dbgrtmb:

The larger shrubs and trees I would start watering now as Armandii says ,the Day lilies can be potted up and kept watered and I'd definitely try striking a few cuttings ...With time being in short supply the watering is the main job for now until nearer the time then go for it :thumbsup:....I needed a Van just for the plants and shrubs I took with me :rolleyespink:and I'd have taken even more if I'd have known the new occupants were going to rip out what was left....:frown:

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1