How big is yours?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Johnny, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I keep buying small garden books but each one seems to have bigger gardens than mine in it, so I was wondering was size is a small garden rather than just a yard.

Mine is 13 foot by 30 foot which I would say is a small garden but even in books like Geoff Hamiltons Country Cottage Gardens he seems to think that a small garden that comes with most houses is bigger than that.

So how big is yours small garden gardeners? ;)

2. PaulD

PaulD Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Morning

I just took a look at your blog and you have some great pictures on there. I have just posted about it and added a link at my Gardening Column Blog. Hope that's okay? :)

Edit - my blog posts automatically go to gather.com which should mean you get some additional traffic.

Take care

Paul

3. daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
    Ratings:
    +48
    Ours is definitely in the small garden category. About 18ft square. Yours is positively huge by comparison! lol!
    When I was house hunting, I very nearly bought a house with a much smaller garden, perhaps about 12ft square! I find it amazing that often the size of the garden isn't even mentioned in EA descriptions!
    I agree, a lot of people don't know what a small garden is do they?
    I have seen good ideas on shows like house doctor, inside and out etc.

4. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Paul thanks for that, it really just and online diary of the garden as it's North facing and I wanted to be able to see pictorial when the light actually hit the garden and how far it had progressed from the dead grass we started with.

5. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We had a very small yard and small front garden that was around 5 foot by 5 foot square in the last house and yet for some reason people visiting this new house think we never had a garden before and that this is our new craze!! I think unless you have room for a lawn people don't consider you have a garden.

6. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Your garden may be small Johnny but i'd say it's perfectly formed - or at least, looks like it's coming along very nicely.
    Mine's similar in width but quite a bit longer - by modern standards, I'd say my garden is a large small garden :D but I didn't bother with any lawn.

7. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG] I'm blushing [​IMG]
    I would of liked a bit longer for a proper veg patch and if not for the small one, child that is, I'm not sure I would have any lawn at all as I'd rather make the room for plants.

8. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Mmmm, that was my idea too - that I'd rather have more room for plants (and a pond!) and I do love to grow veg. Now I'm thinking that I do slightly miss a lawn, it would be nice to go and sit on it with a book in this lovely weather - guess you can't have it all though and at least I can go and sit on the bench and stare at the tadpoles in the pond - and no mowing or other lawncare needed! I agree though, despite the hassle and space issues I think a lawn is a high priority if you have kids.

9. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I try to get away with not cutting the lawn as much as possible and at this time of the year hopefully it will conserve a bit of water. Our daughter doesn't mind the small lawn as she runs around the middle bed and she loves the stepping stones. I read in a book about small gardens that kids don't need grass just somewhere to run around and ride their bikes etc!!! So far this seems true, she is nearly two and just swings on the gate, climbs the small wall and pulls at the plants and stones, she never seems to stay on the grass area!!

10. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    not as big as my Italian one, but more than big enough for an inexperienced bunny...

11. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]