How Can I get rid of mile a minute?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Little Miss Road Rage, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not sure of the proper name but it seems to be called mile a minute. Its not actually mine its the neighbours, but they wanted to get rid of it and dug up the main root but I presume its got more roots. Its in between their fence and ours but only seems to grow over my wall and try and strangle my plants.

I can't get in between the fences to dig it up so how can I kill it before it gets me?

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Mile A Minute, aka Russian Vine, actually Polygonum baldschuanicum. Is a rampant climber which can grow up to 40 + feet. As your neighbours have dug out the main root, that should make things easier for you. As it grows through the fence spray it with Glyphosate weedkiller. You will need to do it regularly because it is so rampant. You should tell your neighbours to do the same because they must be having re-growth their side of the fence, as well.

3. Little Miss Road Rage

Ratings:
    +1
    Brilliant thanks. I shall do that next week as it looks like its going to rain lol

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I'm sure you know this LMRR, but don't get any Glyphosphate on anything you want to keep ...

5. Little Miss Road Rage

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that cause I can kill plants anyway without having help