How can I protect a fence from soil damage after levelling garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by sharpesq, Apr 3, 2008.

1. sharpesq

sharpesq Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am trying to level my new garden at present and the side of the garden runs on a slope to a fence in a style I think is known as lap panels. I'm leveling the garden with existing soil from the garden.

My question is how can I protect the fence? I thought about nailing treated wood between the posts to give strength (as the soil will be against this fence) but that will rot after a while, it looks like the neighbour below has used some sort of felt against the fence to protect it and then put wood against it.

Many Thanks

2. Dave_In_His_Garden

Dave_In_His_Garden Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi sharpesq - You can get damp proof membrane and things like that which might help, you can also get damp seal to paint onto the fence. However, if I understand you correctly the bottom of the fence line will now be below the soil level?

As well as rotting the wood, I would worry that the pressure of the soil pushing against the fence would warp the wood, and as you say, you need to give it more strength. Can you not use concrete panels at the base of the fence? Even with wooden posts as the supports, you can use U-shaped brackets to hold the concrete in place.

3. sharpesq

sharpesq Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I like the suggestion of the concrete panels / slabs, I could mount a wooden plank between the posts above the soil level and rest the concrete panels against that if you think that may work?

Thanks for the reply.

4. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    That's what I have done, use concrete gravel boards and a shorter panel [​IMG]

5. Bally

Bally Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Im going to have a similar problem when I start work on my back garden. my concern is having to repair / replace the fence in the future once its buried in concrete and topsoil.

6. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    If it's made of concrete what repairs would you have to make ?

7. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Id sink rail sleapers in