How can I save this tree please?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by shonasdaddy, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    No, it's dead.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Zigs no messing about :loll:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
        Ratings:
        +6,097
        Generally where a branch/stem of a tree or bush has been cut back, in time a new shoot is likely to sprout close to the cut surface. Roses are a good example. However failing this and if the cut branch/stem has suffered total dieback, the new growth will in time appear from the trunk or older branch.
        In the case of conifers. New growth will only appear in time, from the main trunk. I am well aware of the sentimentalty that can be involved. I have a lovely shaped Thuja plicata. I have over time lifted it and there is plenty of new growth from the trunk.
        As conifers are in the main slow/very slow growers with the exception of certain Leylandii perhaps it is worth considering the time factor which can be frought with dissappointment.
        To assist what lifeforce is left in the tree. I would be inclinded to radically reduce the height, also to thin out and reduce the cut branch stubs. Good muching and watering. This can't be more than a well meant suggestion. I wish you all the best.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
          Ratings:
          +5,404
          @shonasdaddy get yourself a nice new tree - that one is definitely dead.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            It looks at deaths door to me Tetters also [​IMG]

• martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
            +10,302
            Jim dead.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Hello Stranger [​IMG]….I thought you'd got lost ;)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                Ratings:
                +6,097
                Hey! Our friend says that scraping the bark it's green. With due respects. I hope you lot are not at the morgue when I am wheeled in.

• Funny Funny x 2
                • shonasdaddy

shonasdaddy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                  +6
                  3 inch of branch growth at the top since it was cut back a couple of months ago. Just no green shoots, yet.

So basically the chances of it making a full recovery are slim.

OK no bother thanks for the advice folks. Was hoping it would be back for this summer. I'll just replace it.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                  • shonasdaddy

shonasdaddy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                    +6
                    Thank you, very informative. This is exactly the information I was hoping to find.

The tree is far from dead, i had discussed with my wife cutting the branches back even further but did not want to put the tree through even greater stress so came looking for a Gardner's forum. To be honest all the people saying its dead is not really helpful at all. Its still growing, the branches are getting longer just no green leaves after they all died last year. I'm guessing the tree is focusing on growing/repairing it's roots.

Thanks for your help. Take care.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
                      Ratings:
                      +20,950
                      @shonasdaddy
                      It really depends what type of conifer it was, Having blown up the image and sharpened it up a bit it the greenery left appears like that of a Cupressus or similar not a pine or fir. If it had been a pine or fir then forget it likewise if it was a Leylandii or similar. If it was a Thuja plicata or similar then as @Mike Allen said it could come back. From personal experience I know Thujas can be cut back very hard and they come back. I had to remove the stump to stop mine from coming back.
                      Having said that it appears to be a fairly sizeable tree and you would have needed to a large rootball for it to transplant successfully; sort of mechanical digger size, not one man and a shovel.
                      It can take a long time for a tree that size to completely die hence the green when you scrape it. Most conifers have no dormant buds in the trunk and branches to allow regrowth. The growth comes from the tips.
                      If new growth was appearing it would be green.
                      I would take it down to about 3-4ft above the ground then if it doesn't reshoot it can easily be removed and won't be intrusive.

• Informative Informative x 2
                      • Like Like x 1
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                        +8,083
                        Let's hope all us doom merchants are wrong. I think we were only trying to give our best advice as we didn't know what type of conifer it is and not give you what could turn out to be false hope. I will look forward to you posting photos of you tree in full glory sometime soon and you can prove us wrong:)

• Agree Agree x 1
                        • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                          +0
                          Hi Mike...my bottle brushes was scrapped on the back garden mate and the main stem showed green but it was going hollow in side and the stems was completely dead :)

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +84,341
                          I'm sure they dont scrape your bark at the morgue, they have other ways,:biggrin:
                          Do you have a close up pic of the new growth, without green shoots?

Ok, its not dead, is that helpful?:smile:

• Funny Funny x 3
                          • misterQ

misterQ Super Gardener

Ratings:
                            +1,770
                            [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This conifer was donated to the Community Garden in July 2015. I only accepted it because it was sitting in a very nice (and heavy) terracotta pot.

Unfortunately, my immediate plot neighbour, who is fascinated by all manner of plants and hoards them, clapped eyes on it and so went my chances of conveniently disappearing it.

At the time, at least 80% of the tree was brown and dry with tufts of sickly grey/green leaves concentrated near the base on the shaded side. I wish I had taken pictures of it then but it has been in plain sight for all this time.

The compost around the root-ball had shrunk and turned dusty - to the point that no weeds could even grow in it.

So some remedial action was needed. This consisted of pruning out a third of the thick stems which included the parts that were bearing the grey/green leaves. Then pruning out all of the thin branches that I thought would not make it.

By now the remaining tree was a bit lopsided and was 90-95% brown and dry in appearance.

A quarter of the root-ball was pruned out so that I could incorporate some "fresh" compost (well, it was spent compost with a bit of top soil mixed in).

The pot was then deep watered and kept lightly watered nearly every day from late May till October.

No feed or fertilizer was added until May of this year.

As you can see, the tree has almost fully recovered.

The next steps to take include correcting the shape of the tree and hardening the tree to better survive drought conditions.

• Informative Informative x 2