How do I elimenate a bumpy lawn?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by paterson00, Aug 7, 2009.

1. paterson00

paterson00 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    From the house the lawn looks good (for an amateur) and I'm quite happy with it so far but when you walk on it it feels really bumpy and you can feel and see it flaws. I have a roller. How do I create that great looking lawn which is flat. I should point out here that I have two young boys and a Labrador so the lawn does get used all the time.

2. NeilC

NeilC Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paterson

I think how you tackle it is a question of degrees. What is the height differential from crown to dip? I would suggest that if it is significant and all over the lawn your best bet may be to relay it. Scalp off the turf, use stakes set in a grid about a yard apart to establish a level and then dig, rake & roll to get the surface level. Then turf or seed as desired.

For minor hollows you can top dress with a soil/seed mixture to raise the level. For crowns, use a spade or edging tool to cut an H shaped incision centred on the top of the crown. Peel back the turf and then scrape out the underlying soil until the turf will lay back down level. Water in well after.

3. paterson00

paterson00 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I only have a few little bumps and dips here and there so you advice here should work. I thought i knew about the dips but wasn't sure and had never thought about cutting open the lawn before, good tip. I expected to receive an answer saying get a plank of wood and a lump hammer....

4. NeilC

NeilC Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Your'e welcome

I joined thinking I would be picking brains and find that I actually seem to have acquired more knowledge than I realised.

5. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Paterson

You've had good advice already but your mention of a roller reminded me of something I was told many years ago by a groundsman. He said you can do more harm than good with a roller and it should always be used sparingly. It's best use was to restore a lawn to flatness after it has been kicked up e.g. by sporting events.

6. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Flinty,

Do you not think that Paterson having "two young boys and a Labrador would count as a sporting event?

7. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Without the shadow of a doubt!

8. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    I was told that to bring areas of lawn up to the level of raised areas you sprinkle compst onto the grass in the dips and gradually let it grow up through layer by layer. We hgave seeded a veg bed in our garden and to bring up the layer to the path it joins, where you can see a definite line, that's what we're doing. Hope that helps. I wouldn't touch the grass you already have. More hassle than it's worth!