1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How do i get rid off moss on my lawn without chemicals

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Sonya, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Sonya

Sonya Gardener

Ratings:
    +220
    We don't have much of a lawn but we don't want to start all over again as we have shrubs dotted about in it! I can't use chemicals because we have a cat. The soil is very alkaline and we don't get a lot of sun on half of the lawn.... Any ideas please.... Thanks

2. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,596
    I hear your problems. You could try to find ground up acid materials, such as leaves, to put out. and spread around. it will take time to leach in the soil. Personally , I love moss. mose changes colors etc. anyone can have the perfect lawn.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Sonya

Sonya Gardener

Ratings:
      +220
      Hi @redstar I don't mind moss either. I want to get rid off it because the garden never dries out unless there's no rain for a long time. We also get black tar like marks on it too

• luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
      Ratings:
      +6,899
      I have moss too and don't want to use chemicals as the grass is grazed by rabbits. I dealt with it by raking it really hard, right down to the soil level. The surrounding grass and plants ( actually weeds and wild flowers ) then encroached on the weakened moss and reclaimed the space. This has kept it in check, but occasional raking may be necessary if it begins to regrow. I think with moss its a case of management and if you can encourage other plants to grow in the grass they will also help. One of the spots I had is now colonized by white clover and dead nettle, which the Bees love:). Also taking care of the existing grass to strengthen it and keep it in good condition will help too.

• Like Like x 1
      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        A lush lawn without moss and weeds is a delight....if you can get rid of moss do so. Grass needs sunshine, good drainage, water and food to do well. :)
        Sonya, spiking,raking, mowing and feeding will help grass compete with moss....in the shady bit the moss will edge it though. Maybe some lateral thinking here......how about converting this part into a perennial bed?
        Mowing? Here I mow with the blades set high. This makes for a lush looking and feeling lawn and helps grass compete with weeds and moss. Regular mowing too. Lawns cut once a week...twice here....puts less stress on the grass and is easy and quick. Lawns have a reputation for taking up time but undeservedly so and moss free lawns are certainly worth it:)
        Can you post a picture Sonya?

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Like Like x 1
          Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
        • Scudo

Scudo Gardener

Retired layabout
          Ratings:
          +268
          I too am bothered with moss, I treat with iron sulphate maybe 3 times a year just to keep it in check as if it gets too thick the lawn mower struggles otherwise I wouldnt bother. I dont rake it out and the black dead moss doesnt really show through as I tend to keep my grass on the longer side.

• Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
          Ratings:
          +5,368
          I've always used Iron Sulphate to get rid of moss also. Having said that, I wont be using it any more. On a lawn seminar earlier this year, it was proven to me that it is quite harmful, as continued use of it adds heavy metals to the soil. Added to that, it does not kill the moss roots anyay, so it just returns.

In future, I will get rid of moss by doing several things. First, checking the pH value of the soil. For grass, it should be 7.0. Then, by using the correct amount of lime in Autumn to bring the soil to that value. When Spring arrives, feed the lawn as soon as the threat of frost has gone. When the lawn has been mowed twice, scarify using "knives" then overseed. The seed should be mixed with dressing, and applied using a lute.

Feed once or twice more during the season using something eco friendly that keeps the pH level at 7.0 by being slightly alkaline. The grass itself will stop the moss reappearing, as will the pH level.

Moss will not grow in pH value soil of 7.0 and above.

• Informative Informative x 3
          • Verdun

Ratings:
            +17,487
            Sonya said "the soil is very alkaline"......???? I assume she has had a ph test done to say this.
            The big clue is "we dont get a lot of sun on half of the lawn":) this is the main issue to address

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Sonya

Sonya Gardener

Ratings:
              +220
              I don't know about the soil pH but it is very clay like. If we have a heavy down pour it floods and can stay for days :sad: and if we don't have rain for a long time it goes very hard and starts to crack :sad: Mind you, I don't think it helps living just down the road from a nature reserve called "Rixton Clay Pits" :heehee:. As for the moss i think I'll just have a go at raking it out and see what happens.

• Verdun

Ratings:
              +17,487
              Not ideal for grass then Sonya but the reason is it is too boggy there
              Most likely when you rake the moss out there will be nothing green left! :noidea:
              If you really want a lawn there you can address the flooding issue but I would be inclined to turn the area into a planting area for some fabulous plants......astilbes, astrantias, primroses, acteas, rodgersias, sanguisorbas, carex, arum lilies, grasses like hackonechloa and Bowles Golden Grass, brunneras and more. Could be something quite special there....???:smile:

• Like Like x 1
              • Sonya

Sonya Gardener

Ratings:
                +220
                I planted viburnum, French lavender, cherry laurel, red robin, buddhliea, euonymus, hydrangea and a fuschia that i didn't realize was a Tom Thumb til i planted it! :heehee: I've also transferred a penstemon pensham plum jerkum in there as well. Apart from the penstemon which was only put in about 4/6 weeks ago, everything was put in summer/autumn '15' There's still room to put other plants in but I have make sure that the slugs won't eat them, they're killing my wildflower section off :mad:

• Like Like x 1
                • Verdun

Ratings:
                  +17,487
                  Get in a couple of astilbes Sonya.......untouched by slugs etc.....plus ferns. There are some amazingly beautiful "painted" ferns around. Check out acteas/comicifugas too. Never touched by pests and have the most beautiful dark purple/brown/black sculpted foliage plus spires of white scented flowers
                  All these are easy, bomb proof and beautiful....look nicer than a struggling lawn Sonya! :heehee:

• Informative Informative x 2
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • Sonya

Sonya Gardener

Ratings:
                    +220
                    Thanks I'm off to have a nosey at Google now. Not very good with these names :heehee:

• Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +1,686
                    Hi Sonya, I have a similar problem to you as the entirety of my front lawn, and two thirds of my back has been overpowered by moss, and I also have a cat. A few years ago we put down a mosskiller and grass feed which was non-toxic to animals in the front garden. We had great success with that and scarified most of the small lawn into 15 bags of dead moss! Unfortunately we did not keep this up, or transfer it to the back as we were told that moss always returns unless you treat the cause of the moss. In our case it was mainly down to shading and flooding in heavy rain, which we get frequently in the west of Scotland! However, our next door neighbour, who has a less shady garden, has continued with these treatments every year, and consequently has a lovely smooth green lawn. I cut it for him now and really enjoy how the mower cuts it more easily. So an option could be to spend a few days treating the lawn each spring, to keep on top of the worst of it and green up the lawn. Or.... lots of buying beautiful plants and interspersing them with gravel, or paving, or stepping stones. Sounds like you have some beautiful plants already! :spring: