How do I plant a wisteria

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by under par, Sep 3, 2011.

1. under par

under par serious gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi people. I have returned to this great source of information for some advise with a long searched for Wisteria.

I have been looking for a Japanese wisteria without an ugly graft for two growing seasons now. And yesterday I found a beauty!! :)

I want to plant it in a raised bed against a sunny wall. I've got some trailing ivy in the bed to add affect that I want to keep in there if possible. What I want some advise on is planting out.

Should I hold back until the spring when I can pull the the roots out to help them out?
    Should I add bone meal to the soil in the root to help the roots?
    I'm guessing I should not feed now until the spring? Or am I wrong??

Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dean

2. under par

Ratings:
    +1
  3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Dig a hole and plant it, basically. More importantly, why have you gone for a seed grown plant as opposed to a grafted plant?:scratch:

• Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,839
      Sorry, underpar, was your second post because no was answering your question?, if so our apologies.:cry3:

I think you answered Dai's question about why you bought a seed grown plant instead of a grafted one with your comment about wanting a plant without an ugly graft.

Firstly, if you plant it near a wall it needs to be around 18" away from the wall so that it's not too dry and will get rain on the soil where it is planted. You're right you don't have to feed it until it moves into growth next year, and you can plant it now:thumbsup::D

• under par

Ratings:
      +1
      Thank you. I'll take some photos to upload if any one is intrested.

I don't like grafts because I try to have my trees (I'm a bonsai enthusiast) and plants looking as close to the Japanese style as possible and where I can have them looking natural.

This may sound weird to some I know but Its a recurring theme I'm working on.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,839
      Not weird, under par, just wanting to do things your way, and that's partly what gardening's about. Pics to show us what you're doing??, yes please:ideaIPB: good idea!

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,641
      I think where Dai is going is that grafted plants are likely to flower much earlier than seed grown and the flower quality is known.

And I agree its best to just plant now and not feed, if you do you will get lots of vegetative growth at the expense of flowers.
      But if its seed grown, it could be a fair few years before it flowers.

• Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +866
      Anything up to 20 is what I was told.

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      I've never planted a wisteria, but have read about the 'not flowering for 20 years' story and the grafted versions

bone meal is ok, but superphosphate is better if mixed in the hole IMHO

rootgrow is something new to me and I have been using it recently .... I don't know if it works, but many say it does, so I use it every time (I recently planted sever heuchera .... some were planted using rootgrow, and some were not ... these were planted 2 months ago and I see no difference on the surface, but don't know what's happening underground

I have been using palmbooster with many shrubs/plants and all the palms I have recently planted .... does it work? .... I don't know, but many say it does, so I will continue to use it

I have stopped adding fertilizers to the plants/shrubs about a week ago so as to harden them up for winter

if I were to plant something now (or within the next few weeks), I would most probably add superphosphate mixed with the John innes no3 ... and a good mulch of well rotted farmyard organic manure ontop ... I would also use rootgrow

and then I would add some slow release phostrogen fertilizer in spring N-P-K of 15-7-15 plus trace elements

I'm still trying to get my head around fertilizers, especially when applying to lawns
      :scratch:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,839
      :wow:., I didn't realise that it was as much as 20 years, Fidgetsmum. That might change under par's mind about the seed grown Wisteria that he's got.:what::DOH:

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      from the RHS:
      Wisteria / Royal Horticultural Society

snip:
      Seed-raised wisterias can take up to 20 years to flower, so increase plants by layering, taking softwood cuttings in spring to midsummer, or hardwood cuttings in winter. Professional nurserymen generally propagate wisteria by grafting, and layering is usually best for home gardeners

• Like Like x 1
      • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
        Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
        Ratings:
        +11,529
        I do not, its a plant I would not want.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,839
        And there I was, Redstar, going to get you one for Christmas.:D

• under par

Ratings:
        +1
        I'm sorry guys. I should of been clearer. My Wisteria is grafted just don't look like it is. I know the reason there always grafted but I've been keeping my eyes peeled for one that the graft is not as noticeable and not as ugly. Wisteria tend to have the ugliest blatant grafts going and I wanted one that looked like it was seed grown but not.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,839
        Now you tell us!!!!!!!!!!!:D:heehee::heehee::heehee: