How do I Restore this Rose and Also Which One Is It?

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Jungle Jane, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    I inherited this rose when Dave's Nan passed away last year and have no idea what it is. I was thinking of giving it away as I wasn't really a fan of roses until I saw this one flower this week.

[​IMG]

I first thought it was the variety called "remember me" but now I don't think it is. The flower measures roughly 2" in diameter and smells lovely! It has these strange hints of pink against the peachy petals

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My next question is that it came to me in a very neglected state and have no idea how to make the whole plant bush up so it fills out this pot. There was a fern growing in this pot as well which I have recently removed and wonder if this would help the rose at all.

[​IMG]

Also I have no idea what type of rose it is. I was told that it was a patio rose but have no way of telling if it is or not.

Please help :)

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,742
    Hi JJ This is what I would do if it were my Rose,Could I respectfully suggest that you very gently scratch the outer skin away and see if it is green or brown on the stems then prune it down to 12 inches or where there is an outward facing bud,then I would re-pot it with John Innes No 3 ,please put some drainage in the bottom of the pot,you can use the same pot but please make sure it is washed well inside and clean,I realise that you probably won't get any blooms this year but it will be worth all your effort and should reward you next year my friend,hope this is of some help to you:)

Ps have you the room to plant it directly in to the garden;)

Remember Me is a Hybrid tea rose.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Hannah's Rose Garden

Hannah's Rose Garden Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,410
      I am sure woo will be along soon but I would
      # prune the stems off with no leaves
      #remove the top three inches of soil and put fresh multi purp compost taking care not to disturb the roots too much the knobbly bit (union) musnt be beuried in the compost.
      # u can pay a fortune for rose food like uncletoms rose tonic or toprose or use tom feed ots up to u.
      It looks like my "warm wishes" lovely :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Jungle Jane

Local Nutcase
        Ratings:
        +3,225
        The flower has almost doubled in size now and is nice and frilly! It went from a peachy colour to a pale pink. Is there a special term for when the flowers do this, as I assumed all roses kept their colour while they were in bloom.

[​IMG]

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,090
        No, the colour usually gets paler from bud to full-blown, though not with all roses. Have you considered putting it in the ground as there is always a steadier supply of water and nutrients down there. But maybe you are better at watering and feeding than me.

If you repot, be careful, as roses have one main woody root with very little fibrous root and the soil may all fall off it causing a bit of a set back because it has to recover from this.

I agree with the idea of cutting out all dead wood now, but in the autumn you could prune all stems quite hard which will rejuvenate the whole bush. That way you will still get a few flowers this summer.

• Like Like x 1
        • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +91,742
          Hi J/J yes the colours of the rose also depends on so many factors ie position/soil/weather / age,it is a beautiful Rose There are over 70,000 roses at the last count but all I can do is maybe narrow it down and see what you think:)

• Like Like x 1
          • Jungle Jane

Local Nutcase
            Ratings:
            +3,225
            I am quite happy to plant it in the ground. But I was told when I inherited from the father in law that it was a patio rose. But I am starting to wonder if that's not the case anymore as the blooms are so large. I've always imagined patio roses have very small blooms, where as the rose in question here has blooms almost as big as my hand now. I've cut back all the dead wood down a few days back but am still not sure what to do with the stem with the live growth on it. I can't really cut it to 12" because it's already at that height. Also I don't understand how cutting down to an outer bud will induce more growth in the future.

I would very much appreciate that. :) I just want to know if it's a patio rose or not, so I can plant it in the ground. With 70,000 different roses I think it will be highly unlikely to find the exact one.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
            +100,838
            Well, it won't, JJ. But what it will do is to encourage the Rose to grow outward and over time get bigger in width. From those new stems will grow more that will reach upwards extending the height.
            I hope people won't mind if I say that I wouldn't cut this particular Rose back hard this year at all. I would lightly trim it but that's about it and that would give it time to put energy into getting stronger. Patio roses ['tis a loose marketing term:snork: ] are just dwarf roses and minature roses and shouldn't get as big as a shrub rose.........but it's not unknown!!:heehee: They usually have thinner stems and smaller leaves and to me, Woo might disagree and I would bow to his superior knowledge, they're not subject the same pruning rules regarding cutting back hard and would benefit from lighter pruning. But, like all roses, they are hungry plants and the practice of regular feeding with a Soluble General Fertiliser and then when you see the first buds a Potash rich feed should show a return in health, growth and flowers.:snork:

• Useful Useful x 1
            • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
              Ratings:
              +91,742
              It is a Patio Rose:blue thumb: it should grow to no more than 2 feet high here are two:) I keep trying to count the petals that would give me a clue

Flowerpower
              [​IMG] Sweet Dreams
              [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • Useful Useful x 1
              • Jungle Jane

Local Nutcase
                Ratings:
                +3,225
                I would say that Sweet Dreams looks more like it than Flowerpower. But the centre is more "frilly" than Sweet Dreams rose.

The other bud is in flower now and will have to grab a picture of it before it fades as it looks more orangey than the first photo I took of the other bud on here.

What is the definition of lightly trimming it? Does that mean I just cut the flower heads off or cut back slightly further than that? Also should I overwinter it this year in the greenhouse? My garden is turning into a bit of a wind tunnel and I'm concerned that the cold weather may have done some damage last year. I will admit that I have neglected it as I was more interested in the wild fern that was growing in the side of the pot. Since I removed this fern from the pot the rose has really shown encouraging signs and am surprised it flowered so quickly soon after I had done this.

I wonder if I should put it in a smaller pot as it seems to look a bit lost in the current one, which I backfilled with soil when I removed the fern. Could I use comfrey tea as a soluble general fertiliser instead of going down the shop bought route. Also I have a large supply of wood ash at my disposal, could I use this as a potash feed? As I understand that wood ash contains potash.I'm quite happy to go out and buy the feeds, but thought I would ask if I could make this myself instead.

Also how regularly should you feed roses? I also was given a rambler rose earlier this year and haven't fed that either. Could I give the same amount of feed to both roses or would I have to give more to one than the other, in other words could I overfeed them?

• Jungle Jane

Local Nutcase
                Ratings:
                +3,225
                A better picture as I adjusted the colour slightly on my camera.

[​IMG]

• Hannah's Rose Garden

Hannah's Rose Garden Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,410
                IT really is stunning. Does it have a scent?

• Like Like x 1
                • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +100,838
                  Hi JJ, for me the definition of lightly trimming in the case of this particular rose would be slightly less than a third of the top growth.:snork:

It wouldn't do the Rose any harm to do so especially as you point out your garden can be a bit of a wind tunnel. It will also stop the roots being frozen during a very harsh Winter. I live in a fairly sheltered area and so I leave my minature roses in their tubs outside during the Winter. I've also got a climber "White Skyliner" in a oak barrel container by the Kitchen door which survives quite nicely out during the Winter.

Not a surprise really as you removed a competitor from a small space so the Rose was able to take up nutrients more easily.:dunno::snork:

Well, Comfrey is rich in Potassium which is obviously good for flower, fruit and seed production so if you want to go down that route why not?? I would say a weekly feed at normal strength would be fine and if you kept to that strength you wouldn't be in danger of over feeding the rose, bear in mind that Roses are known to be hungry plants.

Again, why not? Just bear in mind that Wood ash in it's dry form takes time to break down into the nutrients needed by the plant so you wouldn't see a startlingly quick improvement.

Every body has a different regime and thoughts on feeding roses. some feed regularly, some feed intermittently.........and some feed not at all:heehee: For my shrub roses in the borders and those roses in containers I start off in the Spring when the roses start showing signs of growth with a weekly feed of general fertiliser [in my case I use Miracle Grow]. and then when the first buds are starting to show I use Tomato Feed on a weekly basis. I use those products as I like the results and because, unfortunately, I don't have access to Comfrey and Wood Ash in worthwhile quantities.
                  I have 8 or 9 climbing roses along the West side of the pond with 4 of those being planted in early December 2011 while the others are long established. I haven't fed those roses at all due to the dangers of the nutrients running off into the pond and upsetting the balance of it. However, last year the new roses gave only a few roses and showed some growth but not as much as I expected. Because of that I decided to feed them with general fertiliser once a week from early Spring this year taking care not to get any run off into the pond. There was an immediate difference in the vitality of the roses and when they started to form buds I have been feeding them with Tomato Feed once a week. The improvement is plain to see and worth the extra time and care needed to ensure none goes into the pond.

Not having seen the rose in the pot I can't comment, but if your gardening sense is telling you that's it's in too big a pot then it probably is.......it's a matter of personal decision.:snork:

• Useful Useful x 1
                  • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                    +12,668
                    Beware it doesn't contain much potash, but it does contain a lot of calcium carbonate, which will increase the pH of the soil (making it more alkaline). This may not matter, but something to be aware of.

I feed my Roses twice a year, both occasions with Top Rose. First time is in Spring, when they start into growth, and second time is after the first flush of flowers has finished.

I reckon more frequent feeding would be needed for container grown plants though.

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • Useful Useful x 1
                    • Jungle Jane

Local Nutcase
                      Ratings:
                      +3,225
                      It does indeed, but you have to stick your nose right up to the flowers in order to smell it. Not like my climbing rose which you can smell as you walk pass it. It might be because it has more flower on it though. :dunno:

I cut some of the dead growth back last week and noticed yesterday that new leaves were starting to emerge roughly in the top third of the top growth.

I'm pretty sure when it arrived here it had 3 stems of growth on it and now only has one. I wonder if this was caused to wind rock. I will have room in the greenhouse for it (if I put it in a smaller lighter pot first) but do I continue to water it as normal or allow it to dry out a bit, or water sparingly? I don't want it to over water it like I did with one of the established fushias I also inherited with this rose.

I don't usually make comfrey tea to feed my tomatoes and add the leaves directly to the soil of my tomatoes as a sort of mulch every month or so. I wonder if I could do the same thing with the rose as I don't have a way to brew comfrey tea at the moment. Also the smell puts me off quite a bit. I presume as it would be in a more concentrated form that the rose would also like it too?

Ah yes I forgot about wood ash altering the PH of the soil. :doh:Can you buy potash in the shops, or could I make it organically in another form? Or do Rose fertilisers have all of these ingredients included? Also is it a dry fertiliser or something I would have to mix up in a watering can?

Check the top of the top of the page ;)