How do I start?

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Carllennon, May 31, 2017.

1. Carllennon

Carllennon Gardener

Techie
    Ratings:
    +246
    So I am moving house to a nice little village, yay.

My garden is pretty big but there is also no waiting list for the local Allotments and 3 plots available, so why the hell not.
    currently the plot that I would like is absolutely covered in stinging nettles. I don't suppose I will have much use for it for the rest of this year, or time to do anything since I will spend my time doing my new house up and working on the garden.

So what is best to do? I was thinking just get a bunch of weed suppressing material and stick it on there for the rest of the year, should I cut down all the nettles first or can I just cover the lot up now to save a bit of time and back ache?

Thanks
    Carl

• Like Like x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,486
      Hiya Carl
      All sounds great. I have a decent size garden incl a veg patch but an allotment appeals to me too :)
      Yes, cut down the nettles etc. Is it level ground? Maybe use a mower? You could then mow every 2 to 3 weeks.
      Autumn, early September or so, is the time to start preparations......digging in compost, manure etc. Take your time, you have all winter. You can plan out what you want to grow, e.g. Any fruit? Long term subjects like rhubarb and asparagus?
      Enjoy your new house and allotment.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
        Ratings:
        +10,847
        Was in the same position as you @Carllennon last year but got my new house and lotty in the July. I spent much of the time digging over the beds and put manure on over the winter. (Mine was also heavy clay and was baked hard....maybe dig it over now if u can if the ground isnt hard?)

I also used some green manure (phalacea?! Not sure on spelling) and let that grow to suppress weeds and add nutrients to the ground.

:blue thumb:

• Like Like x 3
        • Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
          +599
          Nettles as much of a pain as they are (literally!) are often an indicator of nitrogen and phosphate rich soil, so you may have a good plot there for veg production :blue thumb:

Covering or cutting them down now will certainly help - before they flower and go to seed. If they've been present a few years, a nice seed bank may be a pain in the future but seedlings are easily seen off with a hoe.

If you use a membrane, it's worth spending a few extra quid on decent, thick material as some of them are like tissue paper (for example, the Apollo stuff from Screwfix is atrocious and far from cheap) and nettles could punch through it.

Old carpets from your new house would be a much better solution :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 4
          • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
            Ratings:
            +3,698
            Definitely strim it down now with a decent strimmer and talk to some of the plot holders whilst doing so.

Doing both of these will help determine what is or was, where on the plot. For example where bed edges and pathways are, if there is anything like old rhubarb or asparagus beds or soft fruits etc etc.

If you can get a "picture" of what has gone before, it may make planning where to put things later on easier, for example beds that have been continually used for years should be in "good heart" and easier to dig.

Take a lot of photo's and post some here, some of us could help identify anything that is worth keeping before any clearance work starts. Its worthwhile spending some time investigating and chatting.

Good luck, exciting times ahead!

Steve...:)