How do I strip my grass?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Nellybobs, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Nellybobs

Nellybobs Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +16
    Hiya folks, thought this may be a fit of a better place to post this.
    I need to get my grass back to soil so I can landscape the space I have... I would try and repair it but the amount of weeds and moss means with my plans it's going to be easier to start again.
    The plot is approx 10x10metre so there's a lot of grass to shift, what is the best way for me to get the grass back to a workable state? I need to move a lot of earth about to level the garden...

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Maybe it's best just to dig it all over and bury the grass, if you turn the spits upside down as you're digging then grass and moss will die off provided it's around 12" deep (about a spade's depth). Another idea would be to use weedkiller but at this time of year it would not work.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Nellybobs

Nellybobs Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +16
      Yeah I was thinking weed killer, Iv got some roundup that I was going to use on the whole area then wait until it dies off and then turn it all over...

• JWK

Ratings:
      +48,979
      Go with the Roundup - try and pick a warm ish dry day.

• Like Like x 1
      • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
        +23,862
        With no wind.

• Like Like x 1
        • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
          Ratings:
          +5,368
          I personally would not use roundup. I'm lead to believe traces of it stay in the ground for a while afterwards.

One method that I have used in the past is to scarify the heck out of the area, remove the dead growth with a rake, then use a big rotary cultivator. That also has the advantage of breaking up the soil, making it easier to move.

• JWK

Ratings:
          +48,979
          Roundup becomes inert as soon as it hits soil so it is a good choice, but like Sandy Ground says a bit of hard work will sort it out.

• Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,259
          Roundup does stay active for a short time on soil, this is recorded on the documents supplied with the herbicide I use including planting times after use.
          It is however a very short span and not something to worry about if used to kill of the grass as it will take longer to kill the grass than the herbicide staying active on the soil.

• Informative Informative x 2
          • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
            Ratings:
            +5,368
            Just had a look on the local language instructions. As JWK says, they state that it becomes inactive...then further on they recommend a wait of 7-10 days before replanting. That to me seems as if not the whole truth is being told. Best to be on the safe side and not use it.

• Informative Informative x 1
            • Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
              +599
              It's been a very mild but wet winter generally (at least around here) and the grass is active and growing despite the recent cold snaps. Weedkiller should work providing the grass is dry and there's a long enough window before rain after spraying (often 6 hours for a lot of weedkillers but Roundup I have read has a short rainfast time).

The problem is you'll be left with a load of dead grass that will stick around for quite some time, so digging it over so it's not visible may be useful if you don't fancy removing it all.

I find a major problem is the disposal of soil as a lot of community tips restrict the amount you can take per day to a pitiful amount and it will take forever. Unless you hire a skip, should you decide to skim off the top layer.

• WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +5,125
              Id hire one of these ;

turfcutter.jpg

Then take the turf and flip them upside down, placed onto a mound, and plant a palm or other plant that likes free draining .