1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How late to sow pickling onions

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Notty1975, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Notty1975

Notty1975 Gardener

Driver
    Ratings:
    +107
    Hi all as above really just picked about 2lb of silver skin and was wondering if I would have time for another crop
    Thanks all

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    It's Summer Soltice today, with decreasing daylight that affects onions, unless you've got some seed left and/or you're prepared to write them off and use a 'spring' onions, I would say no.

I grew Paris Silverskin for a few years, and found the effort of growing them (preparing ground, sowing, weeding, watering, losing the lot to white rot, etc.), skinning them, pickling them, etc. was just too much time, when there's jars reduced to 10p each in supermarkets after Xmas. After they're pickled I can't telll the difference between shop bought and home grown.

3. Notty1975

Notty1975 Gardener

Driver
    Ratings:
    +107
    I could but I’d kind of defeats the object I could go to the super market and let toms onions potatoes etc but the whole point is wanting to do your own

4. Scrungee

Ratings:
    +28,997
    What I mean is they're one of the worse crops, not just for no cost savings, or no improvement in taste (after saturating in vinegar), but there's absolutely loads of better stuff to grow where you can taste the difference instead of buying shop bought veg.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Notty1975

Notty1975 Gardener

Driver
      Ratings:
      +107
      I understand now like I said above I’ve got some pickling for myself this year just to try with different spices etc and was just hoping to get some more ready in time for a cheap ass Christmas presents along with jams a chutneys nice a cheap lol

• Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,997
      I think those are far more worthy of concentrating efforts on, especially using stuff picked from hedgerows for free.

• Like Like x 1